Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Filling hand drawn objects

Ok, this has to be simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. I use the freehand tool to draw a circle, How in the world do I fill it with color? I must be missing something. I notice it shows up as a curve, vice object.

thanks for the help
    IP

Default Re: Filling hand drawn objects

If the shape doesn't fill then it must not be a closed shape but you can close the shape easily at the bottom of the arrrange menu you just tell DRAW to close the path, then you pick the way you want that closure to happen.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

you're right!!! Thanks. Some of the smallest things can be so frustrating, and they seem to be the hardest to find in the manual
    IP

Sally.
    I must be really dumb because I cannot CLOSE the shape at all. On reading your tip I immediately used the Freehand and Brushtool to draw a kidney shaped object and left it almost closed. I then went to the Arrange menu but I cannot see any command that would close the path.

I am using the wrong program?

matelot
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by matelot View Post
    Sally.
    I must be really dumb because I cannot CLOSE the shape at all. On reading your tip I immediately used the Freehand and Brushtool to draw a kidney shaped object and left it almost closed. I then went to the Arrange menu but I cannot see any command that would close the path.

I am using the wrong program?

matelot
    If you are using Corel Draw...

The feature is on the menu bar: Arrange -> Close Path -> (Gives you different options on how to close the shape).

To be able to access the feature, you must make sure that your line/path is selected. Perhaps this is what you are missing? Not sure how it works in later versions, but that's the way it works in CD 11.

Risto
    IP

No, Risto is correct, the path must be selected in order to have anything applied to it. The same thing goes along with if you want to color a line, you have to have it selected or drag and drop a color on to it. If you want to flow text along it, you have to select the line and the text and then tell it in the text menu to fit text to path.

If you have another break in the path that you cannot visually see, then the Arrange/close path won't work. You can see however that there is a break in wireframe view. Sometimes it is necessary to break a path apart and rejoining it is a bit tricky. You can select two nodes on top of each other and on the Property Bar tell the nodes to join but you also need to tell them to Combine. Without this step, you will not fill the shape.

It may be you should try telling it also to "Combine". "Combine" is also on the Arrange Menu but it is also a command on the property tool bar. If you need to combine and the button is not showing for some reason on the tool bar, you may be able to go Arrange/Combine.

Be glad you aren't trying to join all the nodes together of importing an AutoCAD drawing, they come in as all disconnected nodes, especially elipses are terrible. Squares are only four nodes to join, but elipses, easier to delete the elipse and redraw it in such a case.

Best way to learn to do this, for right now I don't have any web space to do a turtorial on for that but will try to do something in a .pdf to help you.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

There is also an auto close button on the property bar. Atleast for the freehand tool
    IP

Hey Guys and Girl - here is old stupid again. It never crossed my mind that I HAD NOT selected the darn thing.
    Thanks a million.

matelot
    IP

Crypto, thanks a million, I have become a creature of habit, but love the socks of it when someone shows me that there is an easier way. Of all the time I've looked at the Property Bar didn't notice it there, can you believe it, I am more myopic than I care to admit. Not to mention that the salt and pepper have been known to disappear in plain view in front on me on the table only to reappear to my vision once pointed out. Job one: stay calm and everything works better. That and I work under deadlines and only upon rare occasions do I twiddle with DRAW to tweak its settings or learn new ones. I went and checked the three versions of DRAW I have: X3, 12 and 9 and they all have this on the Property Bar. So thanks for the tip.

Greatest part of learning and the most memorable is play time. Go through all the settings on the Property Bar as the settings change with every tool and learn what they all do.

Used to be able to pick it up faster in my 20's, takes a bit more practice to settle in permanent memory now. Thank God it still does.

Do the most with the time you have available each day, and you will have no regrets that you didn't at least give it a try.

Sally M. Bode
    IP