Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Exporting

Default Exporting

I'm new to this, so bare with me. I want to export a business card I created and some of the objects are outside the page layout. When I go to export it to PNG, It doesn't cut off the objects and save the original page size? Instead I get a resized business card with the objects extended off the page. Obviously I would like to disgard anything outside of the main page. How do I do this?

appreciate any help
    IP

Default Re: Exporting

In CorelDRAW, as it is multipage, you can gather up your scrap that you might not want to delete and put all that on a new page. You can make pages of all sizes and mix and match pages togther that would never be found that way in a publication, you find that on your page size option on the Property Bar, their is a mix and match option and all pages the same size buttons.

Or you could take your resulting .png and edit it in PhotoPaint (the paint and photo editor which is bundled with DRAW) and crop it and resave.

Or, you could use a PowerClip, which will mask out all that stuff, first group everything (ctrl A, and ctrl G), then just make a box around the business card the size you need with the bleed supposing you have that. It is a good idea to watch the actual size of what you are doing to be sure you are accurate. Again in the Property Bar. Deselect the box, select the group behind it, go to Arrange, PowerClip and apply. Voila, nothing else, but you haven't actually gotten rid of anything, you can right click and edit or remove the PowerClip. Of course, you will need to remake the .png. Usually you would export in a .pdf or with a .tif in CMYK, 300 dpi. The advantage as to exporting as a .pdf, is that you retain the vector type, so nothing is rasterized except any exisiting bitmaps. But you have to have a version of DRAW that makes .pdf.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thank you Sally. I've decided to use the crop tool within Corel Draw.
    IP

I'd still suggest using .tif vs. .png, as it is something all print shops are familiar with.

Not all graphic artists are created alike, some are less knowledgeable than others. Some print shops don't use .png though their is nothing wrong with them. Best to know standard practice so if you deviate from it, you may not always get a result you hope for.

.Png can hold alpha channel transparency, but their is no advantage to it with a flattened file as in cross platform, MACs can misprint this if placed in an oler page layout program. Quark likes .tif and not much else besides .eps. InDesign is more flexible. When in doubt use .tif.

When money is on the line use what you are sure which works.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

great advice.

thanks
    IP

Hi
    what Version of corel are you using
    in X3 you can just select what you want to save by either with pick tool and draw a box around what you like or by SHIFT key and left mouse button
    then goto export and if you can see a box with "selected only" tick that. If you cannot see that there should be a "options" tab you can click and it should be in there
    hope i have explained it well its harder writing it than doing it

baz
    IP

This may be true, however, it depends upon the format you are saving to. I generally take my extraneous clutter off my desktop, and paste it on a back page.

Various people work on files and the default settings change.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Actually had not paid much attention to what is in the options and Baz is right.

Thanks, learned a new thing. It is good.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

thank you both for the help!
    IP