Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Painter X, list the bugs here.

I downloaded the Painter X Trial, and like all Painter releases this is proving more of a trial than the previous. It took about a picosecond to discover the first bugs.

This is for Mac OS.

•I notice that Colour Management is turned on by default, hooray. But it appears that the Spacebar has been set to toggle it on and off. But the Spacebar is also used as the keyboard shortcut for dragging. So using the spacebar to drag, causes the colour management to cycle on and off for a minute or so.

•The keyboard shortcuts don't work. Except for the spacebar (see above). Even the delete key will not delete a select path.

I'll add to the list when I feel more like some more torture.
    IP

Default Re: Painter X, list the bugs here.

In Windows Painter X, in the Default Key Set (Customize Keys Preferences) there is no keyboard shortcut assigned for Color Management, but you can assign whatever keyboard shortcut you want as long as it's not already being used for another function.

My keyboard shortcuts work, both the Default Key Set and my customized Key Set.

What doesn't work are Key Sets loaded from earlier versions. If that's what you did, you'll need to create a new Key Set and set up your keyboard shortcuts again. To do that, I saved my Painter IX.5 Key Set as an HTML Summary, opened the HTML page, then referred to it while setting up my keyboard shortcuts in Painter X. It only took a few minutes and when I was finished, I saved that Painter X Key Set in case I might need to load it again some time.

As I understand it, the reason previous version Key Sets won't work in Painter X is the code is changed so Key Sets and everything else will be cross-platform compatible when users want to share their Workspaces. It's the same with earlier version Custom Palettes. We need to set those up again, and Export them so if we ever need to load them again, we can.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Yeah well this is just a Mac observation.

No, I didn't load any Key Sets, this is Painter X Trial for Mac straight out of the box as it were.

After a while inexplicably the spacebar stopped making colour management turn on and off and for a short while some keyboard commands like B for brush and P for pen started to work. Then I tried the Tab key to hide the palettes but that didn't work. However after pressing the Tab Key, the Keyboard shortcuts like B and P stopped working and further the spacebar now toggled the Grid on and off instead of colour management. Painter 9 still works normally.

I have not imported or touched any key sets.

EDIT: After restarting, the Keyboard shortcuts return to normal but after pressing the Tab key to hide the palettes, (which doesn't work) all the Keyboard shortcuts become inoperable, although I can see them activating in the menu bar. That is if I press Cmd + N I don't get a new document but I can see the file menu turn blue for a moment. Oh and the Spacebar has changed again, from Grid to Tracing Paper. I wonder if it will revert to Colour Management if I restart?
    Last edited by Thelonious; 14 February 2007 at 04:47 AM.
    IP

This is fun, it's like some sort of puzzle: Try and understand the ever changing buttons.

OK some further testing has revealed that when I open Painter X the keyboard buttons work normally, B for Brush, P for Pen and N for New Document, etc.

If I then press the Tab key to hide the palettes, what happens is that no Keyboard buttons work any more until I restart. I have also solved the mystery of the changing spacebar. What happens is that when I restart and the buttons are working, the Tab key becomes a Toggle key that alternatively takes me to Tracing Paper, Grid, Colour Management, Impasto, then down to the bottom of the document window to Draw Inside and Navigation. Depending on which one I stopped at, ie how many times I press the Tab Key, that will determine what the Spacebar decides to toggle.

Isn't this fun.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Default Workspace includes the top of a blank mystery palette, see screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	channel.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	35075  
    IP

Try this:

Close Painter X.

Hold down the Shift key while launching Painter X and when you're asked if you really want to do this (whatever the wording is), click the Yes button.

That sets Painter X back to its installed state (and should be better than the actual installed state was).

If that doesn't solve the problem, e-mail the Corel Painter team at:

painterteam@corel.com

Include everything you've said here, and/or point them to this thread so they can read it in full.

What you describe is a new set of problems I haven't heard about anywhere else, except that a few people have said their keyboard shortcuts don't work sometimes. Nothing about the fantastic, magical, toggling Tab key.

Good luck!

Jinny Brown
    IP

I did the Shift Key restart thing and I thought it fixed the problem but it didn't. However I have discovered that I don't need to restart Painter to make the keyboard shortcuts work, simply closing and opening a new document does that but first use of the Tab key still disables all the keyboard shortcuts and also toggles through all the options around the document window, while turning the spacebar into the respective toggle mode. But I had one success; the mystery palette has gone.

I joined the Beta testing program as you suggested some time ago, but whenever I went to use Painter Xbeta for a job, whatever I did made it quit so I didn't really get to do test anything. Then when I had some spare time, I discovered that the Beta testing had ended. Prematurely in my opinion, because here I am still beta testing the finished product.

I stress that I only had about a minute with the Trial version before the current problems.
    IP

Other than what I've suggested, the only thing I'd try before e-mailing the Corel Painter develpment team is to:

Uninstall Painter X.

Manually delete any remaining Painter X folders and files.

Reboot.

Install Painter X.

Hold down the Shift key while launching Painter X the first time.

Then e-mail the Painter develpment team if it doesn't work. Then you'd have tried everything conceivable (I think??).

Another thought:

I wonder if maybe your download got corrupted?
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 14 February 2007 at 06:32 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    IP