Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Importing text into Xara Xtreme-Xtreme Pro

Hello everyone. This is my first post here since I run into trouble!
    I want to import formatted text into Xara Xtreme or Xtreme Pro. Unfortunately it messes up the formatting when I copy-paste from MS Word or other txt files.

I mean there are ways to go through other software and export in pdf and then import in Xara but... this is getting to be a hassle when there is a lot of text.
    Corel Draw imports the whole lot of text with formatting intact for example.
    Any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: Importing text into Xara Xtreme-Xtreme Pro

Your idea of a whole lot of text imported correctly from Word into a page layout program staying formatted, well, to say the least, a couple of paragraphs might. I am moderator here of CorelDRAW forum and have a few years experience behind me. CorelDRAW will hold a couple of paragraphs from Word, that's it, the rest become Gaelic font in short order.

I don't care what the Microsoft folks will sell you but there is a lot that Microsoft Word does which is screwy and isn't read well by just about everything else. This stems from years ago trying to simulate a typewriter with a computer and then people got used to it and each upgrade has just added more ammendments to the original.

CorelDRAW 12 can just grind to a screeching halt if you embed a Word page. This is resolved in X3 but you have other hangups like longs waits to print. But in 12, even trying to isolate a portion of an embedded page from
    Word, in a PowerClip isn't very useful, slow, slow, Windows 3.1 slow. DRAW has many more layout features than Xara has for the moment. Since I am often called upon to do newsletters in two or three spot colors, I still use DRAW for that as you can use percentages of color and have spot color which works with transparency in DRAW with overprints to actually make more hues. If I want to use a fabulous illustration, Xara can do that par excellence. Or for one page layouts. Or full color newsletters, Xara works well.

The best way for people who must use Word is to use it to provid typed articles and let the layout and graphic artist format the text for them to match. I take note of the fonts, and strip off the formatting. Learned, I have. One of the big reasons why text in Word is a nightmare coming in with lots of formatting is that bullets are often unique to Word, they and Microsoft Publisher do not use standard symbols for bullets, and people who center justify with tabs and use their indent sliders for a numbered list and then let the list numbering complete the format. These are formatting no-no's in anyone's book but so long as it isn't a glaring error on the screen, they will continue to supply horrible text. I have at times pasted it in Notepad to strip off the terrible formatting even Word doesn't get rid of, as it can actually crash another program, namely DRAW, so I could bring it in as straight ASCII text. Some of this formatting can become invisible making insrutible errors in a file which will not flow correctly. individual pages which refuse to print and it is more headache than it is worth. No one tells Microsoft to make a decent program, no matter how awful Word is, they can depend upon sales because "everyone uses it".

There are other word processing programs which aren't built so absurdly such as Word Perfect, in which case the formatting does stay intact bringing it into CorelDRAW as Corel owns WordPerfect. There is also Open Office and some free ones which work better than Word also.

Best way with text is to furnish a printed page to show how the client wants the formatting but let the graphic artist strip that down to native text and apply it as needed in the document. Having documents that don't crash is a much better benefit than trying to adapt to poor programming by Word. Microsoft however did a good one with Excel, just need to start over with Word.

Xara isn't broken, please don't fix it!
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Thank you very much Sally for your valuable input and for pointing out the Word-Draw problems. I share your considerations about Word. I used to use Ami Pro a long time ago and it was better than Word is now
    I usually make newsletters and brochures for the NGO I work for and Xara is an excellent program I have been using since a long time to design logos and letterheads + other graphic work.

Xara is much faster and lighter than Draw although limited for complex work. Nevertheless it has sufficed for me all this time.

The problem is that everyone around here works with Word and is very hard to convince them to go to other programs.

I found solutions about the text imports but they are rather complicated as I explained previously. The other problem is that once the text is imported is very hard to edit it, making you go through the whole process of exporting-importing again.

I will try my best to figure out an way about the text import and share it with the community here.

All the best,
    Lefteris
    Last edited by lefteris; 10 February 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Ok, the solution I found to import text with all the formatting intact.

a. I import the word file to OpenOffice and then print it out as PDF. (Unfortunately the PDF export function in OpenOffice does not work well.
    I use win2pdf but I am sure that any other pdf export tool would do it.)

b.Then I import it as pdf into Xara Xtreme Pro.
    Then you can group the text all together to make it easy to move around and to change attributes, like color.
    The formatting remains but the text is not at all easy to edit or reformat.

It's a fairly easy solution for a page of text at a time.

Keep in mind that it works with Xara Xtreme Pro only since the non Pro version cannot import PDF's.

Hoping that I shed some light into this issue

lefteris

Don't you find the pdf route for text import leaves you with text that has retained the formating but is editable only one line at a time?

This is certainly what I've found when going the PDF way and that its quicker, for my needs anyway, to copy, paste and reformat in XaraPro.

I suppose it depends on how much text you are transfering and how much editing of the text you may need to do in Xara.

Derek

You are right about this Derek, however for me the PDF way might be faster.
    For prepress work like brochures etc. it's an OK solution, as long as they give you the final version of the text

Formatting text is not the strong point of Xara, although in Pro it has improved a lot.
    If you have some tips about text formatting in Pro, I would greatly appreciate them.

Lefteris
    Last edited by lefteris; 10 February 2007 at 02:52 PM.

Pehaps I don't understand the problem, but I just tried to import a page of text from MSWord and when I imported it as a windows metafile and re-sized it to fit my page it was editable, I could change the font (albeit only one line at a time). So I cannot see why this is a problem. I am sure that if I was to set up a magazine page then I would use another program, say Illustrator.

For me importing MS Word docs into Xara Xtreme is no sweat - for upto say a single page.

Martin

Well, depends on the formatting of the text. If it has heavy formatting then it messes up in places. If the page is heavy in formatting and text then it's harder to fix it than to reformat it in Xara.

I still like to use Xara for DTP since it works great with graphics and is much faster than Illustrator.

Once more, what troubles me and I am suggesting is personal, I am sure other people find solutions to fit their needs.

Lefteris
    Last edited by lefteris; 10 February 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteris View Post
    You are right about this Derek, however for me the PDF way might be faster.
    For prepress work like brochures etc. it's an OK solution, as long as they give you the final version of the text

Formatting text is not the strong point of Xara, although in Pro it has improved a lot.
    If you have some tips about text formatting in Pro, I would greatly appreciate them.

Lefteris
    I have no tips outside of what is available from the Pro help files. If I'm producing a booklet or leaflet I type in Word for the Spell / Grammar check and paste unformatted text into Pro to format as required. As I say I'm not working with vast amounts of text so I find Xara more than adequate. When I have more text to work with in a larger publication I still use Serif PagePlus though Xara does it for me 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    I have no tips outside of what is available from the Pro help files. If I'm producing a booklet or leaflet I type in Word for the Spell / Grammar check and paste unformatted text into Pro to format as required. As I say I'm not working with vast amounts of text so I find Xara more than adequate. When I have more text to work with in a larger publication I still use Serif PagePlus though Xara does it for me 90% of the time.
    Thanks, obviously my text requirements are more demanding

PagePlus is a good option though.