Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara acquired by MAGIX

This is the globalisation Masque..
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    To me the Britishness of the product was a big point as well. The fact that it worked better than any other for what I require was the main point of course and I hope that will carry on being the case.
    Britishness? Okay this company was still british.
    But since most companies nowadays work with shares
    you actually never know who really owns them.

An Indian company has just bought British Steel,
    Corus, which wasn`t even totally British anymore since
    they merged with the Dutch Hoogovens, and now it is
    in other hands, and who knows in what time they are in other
    hands again.

the Chinese are building cars in Birmingham and the Goverment seems to have been bought by President Shrub. The corner shop and Xara were all I had left to hold on too, I really hope its successful.
    Derek
    Welcome to the corperate world.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Well my concern is that I realy want Xara to stay focused being a tool for the professional users, competing mainly as an alternative to all the domintating Adobe stuff out there.

I always try to use Xara extreme Pro over Illustrator CS2, it's faster and easier, and after the great Pro upgrade the PDF even works nicely with most of my printhouses. What if the next upgrade is going toward lowend improvements??? elp!

Perhaps a (god forbid) Adobe takeover would have been a better solution...making Xara something of a advanced mix between Photoshop and Illustrator!

Anyhoo - done deal, let's hope something god comes out of this!

/ Roland

I never liked Magix software, it was always bloated with consumer-junk and nonintuative, honestly. But... now I like Magix software...

The money I understand, and the R&D drain. Now that will be different, we hope. My main concern is as long as Charles stays, I'm happy. Anybody this involved and attached...? indispensible.

I hate to be a broken record, but I've had too many software products with (excuse the caps) A DEAF EAR to the customers. And you tell them, "hey, youre losing market share because you just keep plugging away in a tower, and the customers are saying this is !@#$, and still you send a "dear sir/madam" letter, and say that you dont respond to forums, you dont respond to newgroups, you have a suggestion email that you never act upon... And still, nothing is done.

How ( I hope I can say this as an American ) bloddy refreshing it is to have a leader at the helm. A leader who can lead, then follow ( ideas, imput, market trends etc, and customer sentiment ). And then lead again.

So from a Yank, God save the Queen, the good Xara empire, and Charles. In that order. But all VERY close...

Sounds good to me. My first introduction to Xara was, CorelXARA and I bought that in a retail store. That's how I found it. If it wasn't in the store, maybe I would never of found it. I would of probably learned another program and just stuck with it.

So to have Xara in retail stores and competive pricing to go along with it too, it could only help Xara's exposure and user base. If Xara had a weakness, that would be it.
    •Bob

Roland the next upgrade will be towards lower end - which you should expect anyway because we've not updated Xtreme recently, so that's the next one in line to get an update. The enhancements we're making are of a general usability nature. The plan is there will be a point upgrade to Pro at the same time so both versions will get the same improvements.

We said at the launch of Pro that both versions would go forward, Xtreme at the lower price point and Xtreme Pro at the higher - and that's still our plan. And given that Pro is just going out the door right now, as I speak (write) in fact, you shouldn't expect any major update to that version in the short term.

Going forward we hope that the expanded development resources will accelerate both versions. But remember it's not quick to recruit and train people into Xara Xtreme development.

In this new context what will become XARA LX.
    I suppose that linux developpement project is definitively dead.

PFX.

I am excited by the thought of better distribution and more R&D to expand.
    Glad to hear the current company will remain in place. Hope they do not try to merge operations in Germany stranding your employees.

Several times now I have gotten attached to software that is bought out by or merges with other companies. After the merger the products become watered down or change so much in flavor that they no longer have the thing that made them special. (Jasc's PSP to Corel DRASTICALLY changed that product).

Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme Pro are a JOY to work with being faster and cleaner. Simply addictive. Never felt that from Adobe's products. Hope this move does not take that away in the long run.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Magix doesn't have the best image, to be honest. Even though their top-of-the-line audio editors are indeed among the best, their money-makers definitely are the those cheapish lowerend stuff.

Having said that, it's obvious that a company that can sell cheap consumer packages like hotcakes must have done something brilliantly right.

Congratulations Charles, Kate and team, I'm sure that this will benefit the masses greatly.
    I also hope the MenuMaker and Xara 3D will recieve more attention. They are both long overdue in regards to development.

Anas