Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Xara acquired by MAGIX

Today Xara announced that is has been acquired by MAGIX AG - a German software company. I'm posting this to try and answer the most likely questions that arise from this;

How does this affect the future of Xara products?
    Mainly it means no great change. Xara Group Ltd has simply had a change of owners. The company will continue to operate as before, and will continue to develop Xara software as before. Indeed the management of the company, the day-to-day operational control, product design and development teams remain as before.

However Xara will develop product to be supplied both under the Magix brand and the Xara brand. So future versions of Xara Xtreme, for example, will be available under the Magix brand (which is aimed mostly at the consumer market) while Xara will continue to aim at the higher more professional market.

So what are the benefits of this move?
    This move not only brings greater financial resources and stability to Xara, but will also greatly enlarge its user-base. Magix is the number number one retailer of consumer graphics, audio and video products in Europe, and a large player in the US as well. This means for the first time in 10 years that Xara developed products will be available from retail outlets throughout the world.

This in turn means we can invest more in R&D and accelerate the development of Xara Xtreme, both easier to use low-cost consumer versions and higher-end professional versions.

Why is this different to the Corel deal?
    This is fundamentally different. That was a licensing deal we did with Corel 10 years ago. We had a product that competed against CorelDRAW, so in the end Corel always preferred to promote CorelDRAW instead of CorelXARA. Magix have no products that compete with Xara's. There is no conflict of interest.

Magix are a growing, very successful, profitable company. They go back just about as long as Xara, but have been more successful in their sales and marketing. They ship millions of units into the retail channel per year, around the world, which is an extraordinary achievement. They are looking to Xara to help improve their product lines, specifically in the photo and vector graphic areas.

Magix seems very focussed on low-cost consumer products, so what does this mean for future versions?
    Well Xara has also focussed on low-cost consumer graphics software with the likes of Xara 3D, Webstyle and Xara Xtreme so there's a fit there. But Magix also develops and sells some high-end professional products (e.g. www.samplitude.com) and the model will be similar for Xara in the future.

Most members on this forum know and believe in the superior usability, performance and value of the Xara products compared to the competition. Our main problem, as mentioned many times on this forum, has been our lack of retail distribution. Well that problem is about to be solved.

I think this is a real opportunity for Xara to expand and accelerate development in the future.
    Last edited by Charles Moir; 30 January 2007 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: Xara acquired by MAGIX

Wow - my congratulations for a great deal, Charles!

I think, this is the right way to bring Xara Xtreme into Media Markt or other retail stores.

Kudos to you!

Remi

Global marketing can make Xara products a house hold name

Will this affect the open source project?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Thank you for taking time out to inform us.

'Tis good that MAGIX has no competing products and that its existing products, like Xara's, are competitively priced.

I hope this works as intended and further development becomes even more efficient.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Charles, I really hope you're right, but I feel like I've just lost my best friend.

Allison

I hope this will not slow up the distribution of the CD. I too feel like I have lost an old friend, proud of the fact the company was British . Time will tell how good the change will be.

Charles,

Firstly congratulations to yourself (and Kate) on a personal level. You have invested many years of contribution to this software and deserve the rewards.

On a users perspective I must admit to a far greater trepidation. As a user of Computer Concepts software for many years, I am a "dyed in the wool" Xara fanatic. I've followed the program into Windows (from RiscOS) and the disasterous liaison and subsequent 'divorce' from Corel.

I've also been frustrated by the lack of further developmemt in recent years only to have been encouraged by the change of pace within the past twelve months.

However life is all about change and I wish the new company well in it's endevours. It is adopting a very loyal user base and I hope it appreciates this and want's to develop it further.

Could you possibly give a link to MAGIX site so we can be sure which company we're dealing with.

All the staff at Xara should also be mentioned. I hope each and everyone of you find satisfaction and contentment with your new employers.

To quote Allison:

Charles, I really hope you're right, but I feel like I've just lost my best friend.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 30 January 2007 at 11:16 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post

Allison
    I wouldnīt express myself better... Thatīs exactly what i feel...
    This type of news always scares me. First was Adobe buying Macromedia. Iīm still praying for Fireworks (fortunately seems they will keep it and now Xara.... sigh ...iīm still shocked!!!
    Seems thereīs nothing more to be bought in my fav software list by software giants.
    I hope this is for the best and that Charles and all original Xara team keep working/developing Xtreme because thatīs the group of people that has made Xtreme the tool it is today: the best vector graphics program around.

Congrats to all

PS: Egg, the company is Magix AG. http://www.magix.com/
    They were known mostly by their music creation software, specially Magix Music Maker. In recent years they have expanded their software portfolio to imaging and video products. I still have my old Magix Music Maker laying around but I hav'nt touch it in years.

Miguel B.
    Last edited by MEB; 30 January 2007 at 11:51 PM.

It's scary news to me and I would just hate to see future Xara X development shelved because of this. Then again, with this change Xara X should have a bigger chance being discovered by prospective buyers. If it sells - it will be developed I would think (it only makes sense, no?)

Can't fault Charles for this, I'm sure he did what made the most business sense. It's tough times in many areas.

As mentioned earlier, I'm also curious as how this will affect the Open Source Project?

Risto

What can I say?

"Oak trees can start producing acorns when they are 20 years old, but sometimes can go all the way to 50 years for the first production."