Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shades and tints of another colour (video)

Thanks again Bob,

I was really having trouble with this feature.

It really helps me to be able to see it done in a step by step fashion. I even created a drawing to work along with the video. That way I could see it applied to my own work. Great help!

Thanks,

Jen

Bob, really a nice job. Seeing how a tool or process works makes all the difference in the world.

There is one thing that a person can do to speed things up a bit when using named colors.

1- Look at Utilities > Options > General and adjust the "Ask before setting current attributes" check-box to your liking. Let's assume you choose to check that box.

2- After returning to the drawing screen and assuming you've already create your named color, and with NO OBJECT SELECTED, open the Color Editor dialog and right click on your named color in the Color Line (swatch). You will be given a prompt of, "... Do you wish to make the 'line color' attribute a Current Graphics Attribute?" Click on the SET button.

3- Now pick "shade of another color" and close the dialog.

From now on all new lines will automatically be assigned the custom color AND when you open the Color Editor for lines, the "shade of another color" display will appear. This will save time and mouse clicks switching between display modes of the Color Editor.

Also, you can do a File > Save Template and the Color Editor display mode and default line and fill color will be remembered the next time you use your template.

When creating named colors I want to reuse for templates, I often give them names for what they will be USED FOR rather than a color hue they represent. For example: My Hair Color, My Background Color, or My TextHeading Color. This way if I modify the named color for hair from brown to blonde, I don't have to rename the description of the named color.

Regards, John
    Last edited by jclements; 29 January 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Bob those vids really made the colour naming method clear