Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: using vectors art from Illustrator?

http://www.aridi.com/

Maybe some similar graphics. The disks I have open in Xara, but those are somewhat ancient. At that time, the format was EPS and CDR 5. The EPS was a version 7 format.

Rich

There was a thread a while ago about using simple shapes to make all sorts of flourishes, ornaments, etc.

For illustration purposes, I made a simple S-shaped squiggle using the freehand/brush tool, applied the "Comet" line shape and went nuts with it.

For these examples, I only cloned and moved the single shape, rotation, flipping and mirroring. I didn't do any re-sizing or other alterations.

For me, this sort of thing is good therapy, requiring very little concentration. I do it on my laptop, while watching TV!
    ---
    Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic Line Collection.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	34531  
    Attached Files Attached Files

If your Illustrator trial version is still viable you might try exporting one of the vectors as an .ai version 7 or 8 file and then import it into Xara Xtreme.

To clarify - for some time now, Illustrator's default file format has been PDF. PDF, like EPS can include vector and bitmap objects. As the images you are concerned with are vector (and thus can be scaled to any size without losing detail), if you save the flourishes as PDF and import the file into Xtreme Pro (when the disc version becomes available) they will be vector objects as well.

In the meantime, if you want to post one or two of the flourishes you want to use here, those of us with Illustrator can see if we can get them into a XAR so you can get to work now.

Let us know if you need help with attachments.

WoolfMoon The tutorial for creating interesting shapes with flourishes and other typographic symbols was Guest Tutorial 60 by Idil Sukan.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 January 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: I always forget something

Default see below

message below..
    Last edited by Tao jones; 27 January 2007 at 11:55 PM.

Playing around with the above tutorial. I noticed in pro every time I would right click to combine shapes, add shapes pro would freeze or the shape would disappear all together. The shape wasn't too complex. If I did n't 'add shape' everything was ok. I could make a brush etc with the grouped shape or bitmap copy.Maybe this is a bug? tao
    Can someone try right clicking on this image and then combine shape, add shape. It disappears in my X pro..ta
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Tao jones View Post
    ...Can someone try right clicking on this image and then combine shape, add shape...
    You have groups within groups within groups in that drawing. If you ungroup everything, it will work as you expect.

thanks david..t

Just a note. Sometimes when im having difficulty with eps i drop them into Illustrator and save it as a version 8 eps,

i can then bring it into Xara and have my wicked way with it!

If they are plain simple corners or as sophisticated as fonts, .wmf works as well as an import into Xara.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode