Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pro Printing Problems

I would very much like some advice on a printing problem. My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 I have had it for over two years and it has always worked perfectly. Today when I tried to print from Xara Pro it locked up. I could see the job in the que but it would not print after 20 minutes (it usually takes seconds) and I could not delete the print job in the que. If I rebooted the computer and printer the active que shown in the lower left disappeared but if I went to the control panel and brought up the printer fax window it still showed and it I attempted to print again the new job was just added below the first which again could not be deleted although the 2nd one could be deleted. The only way to get rid of the first one in the que was to uninstall the printer drivers; shut off the printer; reboot the computer; start the printer; reinstall the printer drivers; turn off the printer; and finally reboot the computer. At this point I could run test prints from the computer and Photo Shop and other applications, but it I tried Xara Pro I got the same lock up. In trying to figure out what is going on I did this four times and spent most of the day messing with this. What I think I now know is this. Xara starts to send data to the printer que but does not complete the job. The printer sits and waits for the missing data and is basically locked.
    I have gone back to X1 (Xtreme never seemed to offer me much and was to me a waste of money). I uninstalled Pro and reinstalled it but am reluctant to try it again because it is so frustrating and time consuming when it fails. Of course art created in Pro is not backward compatible to X1.
    I would like to know if anyone has had this problem or has any thoughts on the cause. Right now it seems to me that Pro is in some way unstable or self corrupting in that I have been printing with it for a month and a half.
    As an aside I had a runtime error issue shortly after installing Pro and found the answer here. (A .dll file was missing or corrupt.) I just got an E-mail from Xara Support after a month and a half. Not offering any help but just wondering if I was still having the problem. Sigh....
    J B

Default Re: Pro Printing Problems

JB which build of the Pro download are you using? There was a new build made available on January 16th. Have you tried that version to see if the problem goes away?

Before you remove and reinstall try checking the print queue and see what the status of the job sent from Pro. You may have to scroll to see the status column. If the status is pending that would indicate it is waiting for more data. If the status is printing then there is something your printer does not like in the data.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Try selecting the (*) Anti-alised Bitmap option.

Print Options > Output > Anti-aliased Bitmap.

Gary

Thank you both for replying, the build I have been using is Dec 13th (I think) I was not aware of a newer one. It was "Printing". So I guess that means something in the data was corrupt. Does that mean it is a problem with the drawing and not Xara itself (of course Xara may have been involved with the corrupting of the fill in that case). I have to say I only tried one drawing.
    Gary, can you explain the reason for your suggestion. I just curious, I will certainly try it. I will also get the latest version and try that. I am reluctant, because it is so time consuming to get out the the lock up when it happens. Still I will have to try it to solve the problem.
    J B

Well I just installed the latest Pro and used the anti aliasing setting in options and tried printing, first a different drawing that I had printed before and then to one that I was trying to print when that Lockups occurred. Both printed fine. Now I have to work up the courage to print in normal mode.
    Thank you
    J B