Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to make a cylinder (can) have a reflection as if it was sitting on glass

I am trying to make a can, with a rounded or crescent bottom, appear to be sitting on glass. what it requires is to deform the flipped and mirrored item, but the FX deforming tools do not work well, or enough. Are there any work arounds or other ideas. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	howtodeform-can.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	96662  

Default Re: How to make a cylinder (can) have a reflection as if it was sitting on glass

Cheat. Move the reflection behind the can and make the linear transparency short.

Default Re: How to make a cylinder (can) have a reflection as if it was sitting on glass

ok, it was an idea, but it didn't come out very well. seems like a large deforming tool would work. ONe might think that reflections are reasonably popular, and that there would be a specific tool.

Name:	howtodeform-can2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	96663  

A similar post I made a while back: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-shaped-object

Has some examples and suggestions within.

But short answer - there isn't a shortcut to getting it right.

If all your label is vector, then you could apply an default envelope (Mould Tool) and edit the objects. But this will not work on bitmaps.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello rickharp, Welcome to Talkgraphics.

First which version of Xara software are you using? Your profile simply says graphics and that could mean any number of products

It is possibleto do this with a bitmap image in Designer Pro 8, and Photo & Graphics Designer 8 & 9 using a combination of live effects and the eraser tool. it's not a one click process and it's not perfect but it's not hard to do.

Step 1 : clone your cyclinder. flip the clone and set it in place for the reflection. align it at the middle don't worry about the edges yet you are going to fill those in.
    Step 2: Clone the original cyclinder once more but don't flip it this time.
    Step 3: Deselect your clone and use the shape tool (or the Pen tool) to trace a line along the bottom of the cylinder.
    Step 4: Nudge the line up as far as you can with out it touching the bottom of the label and select both the line and the new clone and Ctrl + 4 to slice. The new clone is now sliced into 2 pieces. discard the top and keep the bottom.
    Step 5: Pull the remaining bottom down on top of the inverted image and align the top edge of this with the bottom of the original.
    Step 6: With this top piece selected go to the live effects tool, click new, and from the distortions filters select liquid colour. Gently distort the bottom of the image by using the draw brush and drawing the bottom edge downwards on either side. dont distort it too much. click ok to apply the filter and return to the main page.
    Step 7: Use the eraser with a very soft setting to blend this bit with the inverted image underneath. Select both parts of the reflection and group
    Step 8: with this group selected use the live effects again this time apply a gaussian blur filter (Soften filters> Gaussian blur)
    Step 9: Last step! apply a linear transparency to finish it off.

I've attached a quick example using your posted image it's not perfect as I put it together quite hastily but it'll give you and idea how it will look.

Name:	reflected cyclinder.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	96669  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by rickharp View Post
    I am trying to make a can, with a rounded or crescent bottom, appear to be sitting on glass.
    You really need a 3D application to create an accurate reflection of a cyclinder but you are using a 2D graphics tool.
    I agree with Gary on this one..........Cheat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-priester-method.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	96671

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If all your label is vector, then you could apply an default envelope (Mould Tool) and edit the objects. But this will not work on bitmaps.
    It is possible to warp a bitmap for an application such as this by using trace bitmap, using high accuracy settings. Afterwards you can convert back to a bitmap after warping if need be. I did produce an example but can no longer see how to upload images!
    T
    Tony

Finally worked it out!

Name:	reflection.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	96673  
    Tony

Just goes to show Tony, you have been away from TG too long.