Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Vista Shading Technique

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a little help. I'm trying to recreate the new vista shading in Xara Xtreme. Here is a example below. I've had some success using linear transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28049943_87bddf0662_m.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	34117  

Default Re: Vista Shading Technique

Welcome to the Xtreme Pro Conference.

Not exactly a blow you away graphic is it? C'mon Microsoft, you can do better than that!

The two areas of color, the yellowish and the bluish blobs might be accomplished with rounded rectangles with a lot of feathering and some transparency.

The Adjust Size of Feather Region slider is in the top left area of the Infobar at the top of the screen.

Gary

Talking Re: Vista Shading Technique

Sorry Gary if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't create the graphic, I'm trying to learn the transparent shading technique used in the image. Sorry about that.

Default Re: Vista Shading Technique

Not to worry, Unohoo. He laid the design (or lack of it) squarely at Microsoft's feet. Your honor is intact.

And, as Gary suggested, do take a look at combining rounded rectangles (QuickShape tool - icon has a rectangle, a circle and a star) using the Transparency tool (icon is a wineglass) and some Feathering (slider on the far right in the toolbar at the top of the Xtreme window).

Welcome aboard, BTW. We're delighted to have you join us.

Allison

Just to show you how we all see things differently, I looked at your example and thought, "Not bad. Microsoft did better than usual." 'Course, I'm not sure I like the horizontal thing. OTOH, replicating this image could be an interesting exercise for learning Xara's Transparency tool.
    Last edited by amoore; 12 January 2007 at 08:47 PM.