Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is not the first time this happens to me and i bet it will not be the last one, but it really pisses me off.
    I havenĀ“t touched my fonts folder on windows neither iĀ“ve installed new fonts however when i open a xara document that iĀ“ve been working two weeks ago (a large one) Xara tells me that some fonts are missing and have replaced them with others.
    Now text isnĀ“t aligned anymore, spaces between lines are diferent, everything is screwed up and itĀ“s a lot of text!!!!
    I donĀ“t know how this happens or why... it just happened and now iĀ“m stuck until i find the original font.

I know i have it somewhere (looking for it while iĀ“m typing this) but sometimes i use some freeware fonts for some specific purposes that i donĀ“t have anymore because of a hardrive failure or a system reformat or some other reason. In those cases i have no chance to get my work displaying correctly as originally designed.
    I can only hope that Xara Team adds an OPTION for embedding fonts in documents to avoid all this trouble (yes i have a font manager installed).

Still wondering how are some fonts dissapearing from the windows fonts folder???!?!!!
    Anyone having the same problem or have an ideia whatĀ“s going on?

Thanks.
    Miguel B.

This is not the first time this happens to me and i bet it will not be the last one, but it really pisses me off.
    I havenĀ“t touched my fonts folder on windows neither iĀ“ve installed new fonts however when i open a xara document that iĀ“ve been working two weeks ago (a large one) Xara tells me that some fonts are missing and have replaced them with others.
    Now text isnĀ“t aligned anymore, spaces between lines are diferent, everything is screwed up and itĀ“s a lot of text!!!!
    I donĀ“t know how this happens or why... it just happened and now iĀ“m stuck until i find the original font.

I know i have it somewhere (looking for it while iĀ“m typing this) but sometimes i use some freeware fonts for some specific purposes that i donĀ“t have anymore because of a hardrive failure or a system reformat or some other reason. In those cases i have no chance to get my work displaying correctly as originally designed.
    I can only hope that Xara Team adds an OPTION for embedding fonts in documents to avoid all this trouble (yes i have a font manager installed).

Still wondering how are some fonts dissapearing from the windows fonts folder???!?!!!
    Anyone having the same problem or have an ideia whatĀ“s going on?

Thanks.
    Miguel B.

andalucķa · espańa and lower saxony · germany

Miguel,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone having the same problem or have an ideia whatĀ“s going on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you turn on the option 'Unpredictable Miracles' in Windows? http://jens.highspeedweb.net/samples/smilie_rofl.gif

No, fun aside, could it be that you've had too many fonts installed? If so you might try a font manager. AFAIK Corel does have a font manager on the CD, and there are some others available on the net. Maybe this could solve your problem...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

"Did you turn on the option 'Unpredictable Miracles' in Windows?" - Jens

Is that option in the same dialog as "Don't let windoze crash?" http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

John,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is that option in the same dialog as "Don't let windoze crash?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but as you know the 'Don't let Windoze crash' is greyed out since SP2. http://jens.highspeedweb.net/samples/angryfire.gif
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Miguel,
    You may have thought about doing this already,but I create a "info" layer in my .xar files with important information relevant to the file, ie: the name of an unusual font. It takes a little more time, but is well worth it.

Jens,
    Can I nab a copy of your ROTF icon to use? It's the best one I have seen.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can I nab a copy of your ROTF icon to use? It's the best one I have seen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, I don't mind - I've extracted them from a Linux bulletin board.
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Getting a Font Manager, as Jens suggested, would be a very wise investment. I prefer FontNavigator, which is the one on Corel CDs. These days, that's the only way you can get it.However, there are several available, maybe even some free ones.

Look for one that has an interface you feel comfortable with, that also allows you to:
    - create groups of fonts that you can activate and deactivate on the fly
    - see easily which fonts are activated and which aren't
    - store most of your font files in another folder, even on another partition
    - see sample text in the different fonts

Once you have a font manager, move all your fonts (except those that Windows installs automatically and the *.fon files - leave those alone) into that other folder. Using the font manager, activate only the fonts you use regularly. (FontNav puts a shortcut in the Windows Fonts folder. Other apps actually copy the font.) Activate and deactivate other fonts as you need them.

This setup will save copies of all your font files where Windows isn't likely to muck with them. Plus, you can use groups to identify fonts you need for a particular project.