Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't edit position of text fitted to a path

I've come across a bug in Xara Extreme 2.0f. When I fit Text to a path I cannot then move the text other than using the justifaction tools (very crude). Many posts talk about a small red handle appearing at the beginning or end of the text when the curve is selected and the text tool is then selected. This doesn't happen with my version.

Is this something that has changed from previous versions? It seems to be a rather nasty bug. I like Xara but I'm getting very frustrated and sometimes I'm ready to pitch it and go back to CorelDraw.

Can someone please help here?

Default Re: BUG: Can't edit position of text fitted to a path

Derek
    Never heard of anyone turning to CorelDraw to releive frustration before
    However, when you select the text on a path with the text tool there 'should' be a small (read tiny) red dot at the beginning of the text which you can drag to make fine adjustments to the position of the text. If you are meeting all the requirements, ie. text on a path selected with text tool, and the handle is missing then check you have the latest version installed, which is the stock answer to problems. If you have try re-installing it because it should be there, it's there on my version of Pro which is the latest as far as I know.
    Good luck.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 22 December 2006 at 07:39 AM.

This is not a bug and I remember asking the same question some time ago.

Xtreme has two different kinds of text objects: Wrapping text columns (created by dragging a line in the text tool, which defines the column's width) and simple, non-wrapping text lines (created by clicking somewhere in the text tool). If you fit a non-wrapping text line to a curve, then there are no red handles and you cannot adjust its position. If you fit a wrapping text column to a curve you will see the handles.

The easiest way to create text on a curve that can be adjusted is to create a curve or select it in the Selector tool, then go to the text tool and click anywhere on the selected path. This creates text starting at that point on the curve. It also has the red handles.

Martin

Sorry, I hadn't noticed this before but as wuerthne says you don't get the red adjustment handle if you attach text to a curve only if you type directly onto a curve.
    Derek

wuerthne is right see below one image done by clicking text tool to a curve and one text item fitted to curve from arrange menu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text Wrap.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	33566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text Wrap1.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	33567  

Wizzard <|:-)
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."

works like a charm

bending txt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks. I never knew this trick before. Usually, when I've put text on a curve, it was always on a circle, so if I wanted to reposition it, I just clicked on the rotation handles. But for a wavy line, this obviously would not work.

Still another tool in my workshop!
    ---
    Will

Talking Re: BUG: Can't edit position of text fitted to a path

Ah ha! Thanks for the explanation! Typing the text on the curve works great AND you can then use Remove text from curve and attach it to any other shape where it remains moveable!!! It would be nice to have the option to convert it's behaviour in the right click text popup menu.

Note to Xara: the help file explanations need to be updated and expanded to explain all the features in greater depth.

I've been used to (in CorelDraw) creating/formatting text THEN attaching it to a shape which is still moveable so when this wasn't working the teeth started grinding.

Thanks for the quick responses and the great explanations.

Default Re: Can't edit position of text fitted to a path

Can someone give me some step-by-step instructions on how to make text "follow" a curve - not text ON a curve.

I need to write a phrase that follows the curve of a shape but not touch it. It has to float above the outline of the shape.

Thanks...