Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with clean edges

I'm trying to create some nice curved pane headers for my a web page - the top left image is a PNG with alpha (I've tried transparent GIFs and GIFs with a white background), the remainder of the header is a background color.
    The problem is the faint vertical line to the right of the png - I just can't seem to remove this, yet my image blown up in xara looks to have a very clean edge. I am ensuring that the image width is in whole pixels.

What am I doing wrong and can I achieve a clean edge with PNG & GIF formats?

P.S. Don't try this recipe at home.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Help with clean edges

I'm using IE7 and I don't see the white line you are seeing. Even zoomed in I don't see it. The page looks good!

You have a lot of chocolate in your Salt Beef recipe!

Regards, Ross

Just a thought: Could the problem be you are seeing the white line in your web authoring software? If so it could be a case where the program isn't fully WYSIWYG so it isn't a completely accurate representation of how it will look in a browser.

Regards, Ross

PS - I attach a sreen shot of what I see in IE7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	33479  

Looks OK here in MozFF 1.5.0.8.
    A few spelling mistakes though.

Andy

Post Re: Help with clean edges

Ross and Andy, I think she means the thin vertical line next to the words Salt Beef in the red...
    Sorry caroig, I can't help you with this but I'm certainly going to try this recipe!
    Last edited by MarciaB; 20 December 2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Marcia...you have GREAT eyes! I had to zoom more than 200% before I could see--very faintly--a white line next to the Salt Beef...

But I, too, am confused about the recipe...and I will definitely leave out the saltpetre...LOL
    ---
    Will

There is no line next to 'Salt Beef' when I look at it in IE7.
    Regards, Ross

Ross...I'm using IE-7 also, and to see the really faint white line to the left of the Salt Beef, I first tried simply zooming in...then zoomed 200 %. Even then, it is very faint, but it is there. I can't see it being a problem though.
    ---
    Will

If you open your file rechdl.png in a bitmap editor and zoom in you can see that there is anti-aliasing around the entire red area. Presumably you drew it on a white background so that is what is causing the faint line.

I vaguely seem to recall reading that the only way to completely stop Xtreme from anti-aliasing is to do something silly like drawing your image so that each line coresponds exactly to a pixel. To fix your problem I would simply crop off the couple of extra pixels that have been anti-aliased in a bitmap editor.

Also notice that there is a slight problem with the height of the recipe header in Opera.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jed

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette View Post
    Also notice that there is a slight problem with the height of the recipe header in Opera.
    Jed...that is REALLY strange! I don't see that in either IE-& or FireFox, so it must be something in Opera.
    ---
    Will