Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linked Files and Master Pages

Hey everybody.

I'm new to Xara and have been playing around with it and really like a lot of what it has to offer. With the Pro version edging more towards desktop publishing, I was wondering...

Is there any way to have a "linked" file? So that whenever that linked file changes outside of the current document, that change is detected and can be updated automatically?

Also since there is multiple page support, is there any way to create "master pages?" I do know that you can duplicate a page, but that will only work if I don't ever plan on changing repeating items (which is highly unlikely).

Basically I'm looking to Xara as a not only an Illustrator replacement, but an InDesign replacement too. Are these things possible now, or might they be in future releases?

Thanks, Matt

Default Re: Linked Files and Master Pages

To answer your question in a truthful and straight forward way, No!

How much money does Adobe ask for InDesign?, how much for AI? over 3 times the cost of X Pro. Now not that money really comes into it but Xara X Pro is advertised as a "Vector Drawing Package" with bitmapped effects and how is InDesign marketed? "Professional DTP Programme" with drawing tools some vector some bitmap.

How can you expect a drawing programme to have a linked process like the one that you ask about. OK yes it has if you do work in XPE then yes it automatically updates in Xara if you accept the changes but that is in bitmaps. OK maybe yes again if you take "Live Effects" which is a bitmap effect but it updates a vector drawing and every one knows that you can not make a bitmap effect and still remain editable in all respects.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Linked Files and Master Pages

Are these things possible now,
    No
    or might they be in future releases?
    Yes. (Not that I'd like to say when, but it is out hope to continue improving page handling)