Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runtime error!

Default Runtime error!

Help!
    Suddenly I cannot run Xara Xtreme or Xtreme pro! I get a Box that Says "Runbtime ERROR!" Identifies the location of the Xara program and gives "Abnormal Program Termination" Oh! I just tried X1 with the same result.
    J B
    Just to add more information. I rebooted. No help. Other graphics program load ok, including Photo Shop and Xara Photo editor. I also tried reinstalling Xtreme pro.
    Last edited by J B Lansing; 15 December 2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: additional information

Default Re: Runtime error!

The title of the runtime error box is: "Microsoft visual C++ runtime error" What gets me is I just bought Pro
    I would really appreciate any help you can give.
    Thanks
    J B

Uninstall all existing Xara installations on your machine. After deinstallation, reboot if necessary. Then reinstall XaraXtremePro again. That should work, otherwise there is a serious problem I would say.

Ok, I deleted Xara X1, Xtreme and Xtreme Pro from my computer I rebooted and ran "Registry Mechanic" which found 74 instances of Xara in the Registry which were then deleted. I then reinstalled Xtreme pro and I get the exact same runtime error.
    I am really stuck. I have used Xara for years and have come to depend on it. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
    Any thoughts at all please.
    J B

EDIT: What Windows version do you use?

There is one known issue on the Microsoft Website, discribing the problem you have after installing Office XP or an Office XP program:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817

Method 1: Clean Boot with Only MoSearch
    The Mosearch.exe (Microsoft Office Search Service) and Mosdmn.exe (Microsoft Office 10 Search Filter Daemon) Startup items may be conflicting with some other program (or programs) running in the background. Therefore, clean boot your computer with only MoSearch selected on the Startup menu to determine whether this program is the source of the conflict. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type msconfig.exe, and then click OK.
    3. On the General tab, click Selective startup.
    4. On the Startup tab, click to clear all check boxes except for MoSearch.

NOTE: In Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), leave the *StateMgr check box selected as well.
    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer.
    6. If the error message can be reproduced, repeat the preceding steps. In step 3, also click to clear the Process System.ini file and Process Win.ini file check boxes.
    If the error message cannot be reproduced, this indicates that MoSearch is conflicting with some other program or programs running in the background. Follow these steps to locate the conflicting program: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type msconfig.exe, and then click OK.
    3. On the Startup tab, click to select one of the check boxes.
    4. Click OK, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer.
    5. If the preceding steps reproduce the error message, the last item added to the Startup menu is causing the conflict. If the error message is not reproduced, repeat these steps until all Startup menu check boxes are selected.
    6. If all the Startup menu check boxes are selected and the error message is still not reproduced, start Msconfig again, and then click to select the Process System.ini file and Process Win.ini file check boxes.

Method 2: Uninstall the "Support for Fast Searching" Feature
    To uninstall the "Support for fast searching" feature from all Office XP products that are installed on your computer, follow these steps.

Note This applies only to computers that are running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition. 1. Quit all Office programs.
    2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

4. On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product in question. If you are using a stand-alone version of one of the Office programs, click the appropriate product in the list.
    5. Click Add/Remove.
    6. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
    7. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Tools, point to the icon next to Support for fast searching, and then click Not Available.
    8. Click Update.
    9. Repeat steps 2 through 8 for all other Office XP products installed on your computer.
    10. Restart your computer.
    Last edited by Nostaw; 16 December 2006 at 08:32 PM.

thank you Nostaw!
    I will print your reply out and try it. I will let you know what i find. I do have Office on this computer, but have been using Open Office for some time now. Perhaps I should remove MS Office?
    Thanks again
    J B
    PS I am using XP Home addition

I don't think it's necessary to uninstall OfficeXP - you can try though and see if that helps.

Well I am pretty discouraged. I followed the instructions above although I ended uninstalling MS Office. and basically turned off all the applications that start up at boot up. all to no avail. I get the same error message. I also installed the latest version of pro. I don't know what else to do.
    J B

JB,

Have you tried using the Xara Support site? http://support.xara.com/

You may find that you need the MFC42.DLL which you can find a link to on the Xara Xtreme downloads page. http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,
    Where do you place the Dll? and is there a specific discussion of the file anywhere? It is frustrating because all three versions of xara where working fine.
    Thanks
    John