Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Black and White Photograph

The red eye tool... never thought of it... of course, now I"ll always think of it... when you have a red eye tool in mind, everything starts to look red....
    Thanks Derek.

A while ago there was another trick posted to convert to greyscale. Create an object, rectangular or otherwise, make it pure black, and then give it a 0% saturation transparency. Anything under it will appear to be greyscale.

The above method gives you an easy way to make portions of an illustration greyscale, regularly shaped or otherwise. As a newer expression goes, 'Totally cool, man!'

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Interesting methods. I will have to try some of this out. I can imagine some very beautiful artwork coming out of these styles.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Another way to create a greyscale is to contone a bitmap using white. It has to be a bitmap - not a shape with a bitmap fill. Then simply click on the colourbar to contone it.

For my attachment I tried another wayto add back some colour. I was trying for the hand coloured look like Norman was doing but I didn't want to draw any shapes. So what I did was overlay a copy of the original full colour image on top of the greyscale one and then used eliptical transparency to allow only a small amount of the colour to appear. Numerous clones and repositioning of the fill handles and it started to look like some hand tinting.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spot.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	33206  

I think it was Parahandy that once told me you can simply drag a gray color from the color bar onto the bitmap to turn it into a greyscale pic. Works great.
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    I think it was Parahandy that once told me you can simply drag a gray color from the color bar onto the bitmap to turn it into a greyscale pic. Works great.
    Drag white for greyscale or black for a negative image.
    Derek

Thanks, Masque.
    -=Bob=-

Guys -- you don't have to drag anything. With the bitmap selected simply click the white swatch in the colour bar. You can make it a duotone by then simply right-clicking on another colour.

(Note, with your bitmap selected, you can also click the colour editor icon in the colour bar to open it for interactive colour selection for your contone/duotones).

Regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 12 December 2006 at 09:51 PM.

I think that is more or less what I said at the beginning of this thread.

Norman -- yes many of us are talking about the same thing. You called it "fill with white". Some say drag the white. I say click the white. It's all the same thing. Its been a feature of the program since the early days.

I attach an example that uses a duotone I just made. That's my hand holding a little brass anvil I use as a paperweight. Contones & duotones offer lots of creative possibilities...

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duotone.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	33216  
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 12 December 2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Replaced image to a version more on-topic.