Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SketchUp to Xtreme

Hi all,
    I wish to import a logo design that I developed in SU into Xtreme but what format sohould i save it as? i have tried exporting .eps from SU then into Xtreme but it tells me that 'no filters have been found'

please help!!

cheers,
    Andrew

Default Re: SketchUp to Xtreme

Ross is our Sketch Up guru. He should be along shortly.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ta, I have leant on Ross beofre, he is a good source.........

cheers,

beofre is 'before'.......

Quote Originally Posted by utiler View Post
    beofre is 'before'.......
    Edit is 'Edit' is a button.. ;-)

Export it as a 2D graphic, windows bitmap or Jpg.

If you want it to be an editable Vector drawing you have to jump thru some hoops then export as Autocad dxf or dwg, import that file into Coreldraw, then just copy and paste from there into Xtreme. Or save it out of Corel Draw as something Xtreme can open.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 15 November 2006 at 12:43 AM.

1. If you have another graphics package, export to PDF (turn OFF edges), import the PDF (it will be a vector), Convert to CMX, imported the CMX into Xara as a vector. UNFORTUANATELY, any extrusions of curves will be a series of facets (because PDF does not recognize SU's smoothing algorytm (sp). You could use CDraw or Designer, however, to select the facets and make them one object (I think there have been some specialized scripts to make the process go quicker) and then export to CMX. Not sure about how easy it is to combine objects in Illustrator.

2. A) Export as PNG (not jpg which is lossey).

2. B) If you want a transparent PNG. then do this step and step3. Create a new page. Change all layer colors to black and turn-on color by layers (see screen capture in attached .xar file). UPdate the page. Export this ... it will serve as a transaprency mask in Xara.

3. In Xara, imported the Mask. Delete the mask PNG. Import the colored PNG. While the colored PNG is still selected, open the the Bitmap Gallery (F11), select the mask PNG in the Bitmap Gallery and click on the Transparency Button at the top of the Bitmap Gallery.

Bingo you now have a transparent PNG ... even the SketchUp shadows are semi-transparent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junk 2.png 
Views:	563 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	32077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junk 2 (mask).png 
Views:	553 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	32078  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junk 2 (setting for mask).png 
Views:	561 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	32079  
    Last edited by jclements; 15 November 2006 at 04:00 PM.

And the Xara file
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm not sure that just because it can be done, it should be done.
    Seems like one would benefit more in the long run by sticking with Xtreme and working on perspective and 3rd dimension illusion skills. ( granted, these are off, but you get the idea...)
    And I believe the final file size would be much smaller.
    -AF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlockShapes.gif 
Views:	541 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	32093  

Depends of the quailty of rendering detail you need, what type of geometry you are drawing, what type of "style" you are trying to accomplish, and TIME you have.

What I drew in SU and posted took around 5 to 10 seconds max. Another 15 seconds or so to export (including the mask).

Nice thing about shadows is can be set for any time of day, month or year or location in the world. Shadows falling across other objects are automatically drawn too. You don't have export the shadows if you don't want to, BUT you can use a view in SU as a guide when you hand draw them in Xara and you don't have to guess how they look. Same goes with determining where hi-lights may be needed or how the perspective should be drawn..

A good artist/illustrator with experience can do this, of course without a lot of sweat, but for those us who aren't, this SU - Xara combo can help guide you along .... in a manner similar to looking a photographs to determine form and lighting.

I will often bring work into Xara from SU and then over lay different transparencies to add enhanced highlights, labels, etc.
    Last edited by jclements; 15 November 2006 at 03:53 PM.