Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Minimum height size 48 pixels?

Greetings,

I'm trying to create separated elements of 40 pixels of height, but Xara gives me an error stating that due to margin problems the minimum is 0.5 inch.
    Well, I won't print these graphics, so I tried to alter the margins to avoid this, but the minimum height I can get is 48 pixels. How do I remove these minimums for good? I want to create images of any size...

Thank you!

Default Re: Minimum height size 48 pixels?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    Greetings,

I'm trying to create separated elements of 40 pixels of height, but Xara gives me an error stating that due to margin problems the minimum is 0.5 inch.
    Well, I won't print these graphics, so I tried to alter the margins to avoid this, but the minimum height I can get is 48 pixels. How do I remove these minimums for good? I want to create images of any size...

Thank you!
    I think you are, maybe, looking at page sizes rather than image sizes?
    You can create an object/image as small as 1px x 1 px and even put something inside that.

When making and exporting an image, the page size seems to be irrelevant.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

As Raymond said, the page size does not determine the size of the exported image. The attached is a 16x16 pixel square with an image within it. The default page size in Xara Xtreme was used to create the smaller image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Raymond and Bill,

I prefer to export the whole page, and not the image or selection because sometimes it puts a white border / string somewhere, and then I have to go crop it...
    In this case I just want to export what is inside the page. I have some parts of the object that I don't want exported. It's for example a rounded border rectangle, but I just want to export half of it, to use as a footer.

So by putting just half inside the page, I will export just the lower half I need.

Is there a way?

Here is an example attached. I just want to export what is inside the grey rectangle, including the background, to use that as a footer to my site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pagecrop.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	33141  

That sounds like something that Clip View would be best to use.

There are 3 rectangles in the attached .xar file. One as a background to use for antialiasing the foreground rectangle. The 3rd rectangle is used to apply Clip View to the foreground rectangle.

Edit: Changed the the bottom half of image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round-corners.gif 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	33146  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 11 December 2006 at 03:02 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Bill!

Yes, in this case it would work. I usually just crop by the page size to avoid that extra step. And by page I can get exact sizes, really quickly

The way I do that is I draw a rectangle across the page, set it to no color and export. Still not exactly straightforward, but it works for me.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    The way I do that is I draw a rectangle across the page, set it to no color and export. Still not exactly straightforward, but it works for me.
    I started this way, but found it was really hard to select the invisible rectangle later. I have since moved on to creating a separate layer called 'PrintBackground', and placing a single white rectangle on that layer with the appropriate dimensions and location. I place that layer at the bottom of the layer pile, and this gives me an easy way to export exactly what I want.

This comes in real handy, as I often have to export graphics in different 'layers', so different post-processing operations can be performed on those layers. Keeping the same graphic size across all layers makes it easy to paste the final picture back together.

" I have since moved on to creating a separate layer called 'PrintBackground', and placing a single white rectangle on that layer with the appropriate dimensions and location. I place that layer at the bottom of the layer pile, and this gives me an easy way to export exactly what I want."

Smart boy, David.

I use a similar strategy. I create a layer on top (saved as part of my template) called Export Rectangle. Before doing my "final rendering/export", I make the layer editable, turn on Wire frame to make sure the rectangle and the relevant objects are properly aligned and selected, turn off wireframe, and then export. It adds a few extra steps, but the routine assures consistency.
    Last edited by jclements; 11 December 2006 at 05:39 PM.