Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Design whole (small) website with Pro in Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Jeepers!

This is the part where I say "sorry I asked!"
    Never say that! it's been interesting.

I never wanted to design a commercial web site with just flash or even with xxpro, I was just wondering about the new flash capabilities, and if it's only animation, like movies/moving vectors, or now that there's some flash design or export ability, a simple website can be designed to be a placeholder until a larger site can be built-- placeholder like a simple business card, tiny photo gallery, small mission statement, contact info, etc.
    Eggs given you the answer!

Cheers Paul,

However I must agree upto a point that there are a lot of Flash site that excel at using tiny fonts and "try to guess how to navigate this site" content. But even more so there's even more bland "corporate" html sites out there all identical.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And now the tutorial.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And the xar file used to create the mini_web_site and the resultant swf.

Egg

Hi Egg,

buttons without 3D button effect? If you press a button, the button should move a little bit down to give the user a feedback, that he is pressed.

Remi

Now that's getting silly Remi

Egg

Egg: I know it took a while, but I can feel that you were just waiting in the wings, wating til the turn of the word took the proper angle, and the conversation became sufficiently thick to pop in a little vinegar and sugar... thanks!

Jed: Not a problem whatsoever, enjoyed the discussion and learned a lot, as always here.

As I've said before, I can count on one hand the number of software products that have vibrant communities like this one, and it is a comfortable mix of great technical ability and welcoming patience. I know that even "arguements" here are about ideas, not personalities ( ok, ok, with one or two exceptions... ), and it's like being in a coffee shop, half business, half pleasure.

Thanks for all the responses!

Egg, I think, it's a little misunderstanding. My last post was not meant as a rant about using full Flash sites or not. My post was about User interface design principles.

There are different user interfaces possible within a website:
    • If you use a flat horizontal menu as main navigation element on your website, there is no 3D effect necessary within the horizontal menu.
    • The same with a tabbed page layout.
    • Also, simple HTML links doesn't own a 3D effect, if you click them.
    • But if you use buttons with a rectangle around and want to look them like standalone buttons in a application, there is a graphical feedback for the user necessary - typically a visual effect, which feigns the user a pressing of the button. Otherwise, the button looks wrong.

Within Adobe Flash you're able to create buttons as a symbol with an own timeline for creating the 3D effects as much as you need. I'm not sure, if it's possible to implement such buttons within Xara Xtreme PRO's flash functions.

Regards,
    Remi

Remi,

I wasn't suggesting that you or anyone else was ranting about anything. I was just having a 'tounge in cheek' dig at the concept that a Flash sites has to have whistles & bells and loading bars etc. I just wanted to demonstrate that even XtremePRO could be used to create a simple 'all Flash' web site. The last one posted achieved this very well in my opinion, with a 7 page web site with a 'DOWN' state on each button when clicked and with a total site size of 9Kb.

But if you use buttons with a rectangle around and want to look them like standalone buttons in a application, there is a graphical feedback for the user necessary - typically a visual effect, which feigns the user a pressing of the button. Otherwise, the button looks wrong.
    I still don't understand the point your trying to make here. Are you suggesting a RollOver effect or an OnRelease effect?

Egg
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 06 December 2006 at 01:46 PM.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I still dont understand the point your trying to make here. Are you suggesting a RollOver effect or an OnRelease effect?
    It depends - I'm not sure if you really want buttons for navigating through the website.

If you really want to use a button as a navigation element, the button needs an OnRelease effect like a normal button in the following example.

But I would recommend to change the layout of your navigation: Don't use rectangles around the menu entries to avoid the button-look. Perhaps more something like that:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simple_website_layout_with_xara_xtreme_v02.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	32951

Regards,
    Remi