Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF export extents

Is there any way to get Xtreme (Pro) to set the page size of an exported PDF to the drawing extents rather than the page extents?

I commonly use Xtreme to create figures that will be combined with fairly extensive text in a page layout program. When drawing a figure I usually work on a standard size page (letter, A4, etc.), either because I don't know how big the final drawing will be or because I want to be able to evaluate its size relative to the final page. In any case, when I'm finished with the figure it would be great to export just the drawing, rather than the entire page, just as you can do when exporting bitmaps.

Currently, when I'm finished with a figure I:

1. Figure out the final drawing size.
    2. Resize the page.
    3. Group all of the objects on each layer.
    4. Group all of the layer groups.
    5. Center the full drawing group on the page.
    6. Ungroup the drawing group.
    7. Move each layer group back on to the appropriate layer.
    8. Ungroup each layer group.
    9. Export to PDF.

There's got to be a better way. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who needs to limit the size of exported PDFs to the drawing extents.
    Jed

Default Re: PDF export extents

Just select all your objects (don't group them because the will become "delayered"). Then export to Pdf, click on the Advanced Options button, and choose the export "selection" option.

I think all the other export dialogs have a similar choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export selected.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	32828  
    Last edited by jclements; 02 December 2006 at 08:56 PM.

Default Re: PDF export extents

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Then export to Pdf, click on the Advanced Options button, and choose the export "selection" option.
    I already tried that but it still sets the page extents to the page not the drawing Only the selected objects are included in the pdf so I guess that this option isn't intended for exporting only selected pages.

I'm using the trial version number 3.0.0.612 (28 November) in case this is a bug that has been fixed in more recent versions
    Jed