Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Line end arrow heads in flash exports.

Hi,
    There's a problem with exporting lines with arrowhead on the end to Flash from Xara. The arrowheads disappear in the .swf file (see attachments - the first image is what it looks like in Xara, the second what appear in the flash file.). I think this is a known problem and a limitation of flash but it's still pretty annoying.

Could the arrow head not be replaced automatically with an appropriately placed triangle in the .swf file? I know that's a bit cheesy, but the alternative, basically, is me replacing the arrowhead with a triangle in my Xara document - which I would consider worse.

This has been improved in Xtreme Pro in that you get a warning on export telling you that flash doesn't support line ends (and that flash < v.8 only supports round caps on lines, if you try exporting to an older version.)

This is better, but still not ideal. Any thoughts?

Dunc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrow_test.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	32784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrow_test_in_flash.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	32786  

Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Line end arrow heads in flash exports.

Dunc, I convert the line to shape before putting it into flash.

100% Xara Xtreme Pro export of .swf.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have repeatedly gotten the message that Flash only exports lines with round joins and round ends.

To get around this, I just create a long, narrow rectangle, with a triangle at the tip!

Attached are a SWF file and the XAR file from which it was made. I left the arrows visible in the XAR file, but applied clipview to all four frames before exporting to flash.

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 December 2006 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks guys, I know there are work-arounds for this - like I said - replacing the arrowhead in the Xara file with something else. What I was hoping for really was a fix in Xtreme Pro. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by dflock View Post
    Thanks guys, I know there are work-arounds for this - like I said - replacing the arrowhead in the Xara file with something else. What I was hoping for really was a fix in Xtreme Pro. Oh well.
    Not sure if a fix is the right terminology, nor am I sure it's fair to expect Xara to automatically compensate for features in Xtreme that don't exist in other software. As far as a fix goes, for arrows it's so trivial (convert the line to a shape) as to be of little concern.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Not sure if a fix is the right terminology,
    Agreed. There are several things that Xara does that Flash can not. I actually think the flash exporter in Xara is pretty slick. It throws up some very useful warnings when items in a drawing are out of the scope of Flash. I've been quite pleased with the new exporter. (I'm speaking of still files only. I don't do animations in Xara)

J

The fix, as suggested is very simple and exists already. Conver the line to shape (Arrange menu). One extra step.

Flash is very limited in what objects it can handle compared to what most vector applications can create. Types of fills, anything other than flat, linear or circular mix (normal) transparency, and any kinds of line shapes such as arrowheads.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skeesick View Post
    I've been quite pleased with the new exporter. (I'm speaking of still files only. I don't do animations in Xara)

J
    Joe, this may be a really dumb question, but I'm REALLY new to Flash:

What is the advantage of using Flash for still files? I have never even thought in terms of Flash other than animations!
    ---
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    Joe, this may be a really dumb question, but I'm REALLY new to Flash:

What is the advantage of using Flash for still files? I have never even thought in terms of Flash other than animations!
    ---
    Will
    I'm not Joe, but what he meant was using Xtreme to export still images so they can be animated after import to Flash.

A lot of people do quite amazing stuff drawing with flash. http://www.cartoonsmart.com/drawing_index.html ..
    Last edited by pauland; 02 December 2006 at 02:21 PM. Reason: changed url for drawing specific info

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not Joe, but what he meant was using Xtreme to export still images so they can be animated after import to Flash.

A lot of people do quite amazing stuff drawing with flash. http://www.cartoonsmart.com/drawing_index.html ..
    Thanks for the information. I am so impressed with the things people do with Flash, but I am only familiar with the animations.

The site you sent is really cool! I have seen some of your work on this forum, by the way, and am invariably impressed!

Thanks again...
    ---
    Will