Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF export comments

I tried the latest version of Xara Extreme pro and I still cannot export PDF with Spot colours (on a separarate plate, I just get them converted to cmyk).

I still couldn't get overprint; at least black or text should have an overprint option in pdf export.

I attach a xar and a pdf files to check if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Luciano
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: PDF export comments

You are not completely right

In Acrobat CMYK Black is OK it is only 100% K
    RGB black by my opinion is OK exported - its CMYK conversion depend only by color profile used by you (The same is and in the photoshop)
    A litlle strange is thing with text overprint... in Acrobat its not showed... maybe acrobat didnt understand that there is overprint, but same PDF opened in Illustrator shows that, yes, you have given overprint of black text!

More strange is that same PDF didnt want to be opened or imported in Corel X3, same thing is and after resave in Acrobat..... maybe has something that must be fine-tuned there
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Thanks Minimiro for your reply,
    I know you are one of the best expert in printing, so I am really happy of your interest.

Yes CMYK and RGB blacks appear correct in PDF output, even if in "show printer's color" preview in Xara Pro, RGB black is shown as 100%k only.

But I cannot see SPOT color plate (I use Acrobat Professional 7.0.8), nor overprint.

I never have this problem in PDF generated from other softwares, I hope Xara staff will look into this, maybe these quirks might be easily solved.

ciao
    thanks again
    Luciano

For now Xara is not DTP software... still not, dont forget this
    Maybe some day she will have some of most good options of other graphic softwares, but for now she has only basic DTP functions
    Dont forget Xara (or may be is correctly to say Xtreme and XtremePRO) are vector illustration softwares.

P.S. I didnt see that third bluish restangle is a try for export of spot color, sorry for that
    Last edited by minimiro; 01 December 2006 at 07:57 PM.

minimiro.com

Hi, Minimiro
    I follow Xara ( and Computer Concepts ) products from the times of Archimedes Computers; I am an absolute fan and of course I just bought X Xtreme Pro.

I don't want it to be a full DTP program, but usually logos, letterheads, etc. need correct spot colour output.

ciao

Luciano

Other thing in PDF that still is not understandable by Acrobat and Illustrator is composite coloring (ie plate in all plates bouton)
    Avcourse I can create my own color Composite (100/100/100/100) that work prety well for CMYK... but when I have CMYK+Some pantone colors?

Avcource first must be decided Pantone usage in XtremePRO PDF

minimiro.com

I am not 100% certain of this, but I believe that when the "boxed" version of Xtreme Pro ships in January 07, there should be support for Spot Color! Merry Christmas

Gary

Hi Luciano,

Spot colors have just been added to the PDF/X export system, so they will appear in the shipped version. Sorry that it's not there right now.

It's not possible to overprint an entire color, but over printing per-object is posssible (although there is a bug in this area that is on the list to be fixed). Hopefully that'll be sorted for the final version too.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Dear Anthony and Gary,

Well, I can wait till the shipped version, there is no problem in the meantime.
    Over printing per objects will be very useful, at present I use a work-around for this: I add the background color to the front object.

E.g. if I have to draw a fine black line in front of a yellow background, I define the line color as 100% black plus 100% Yellow; so I avoid any misalignment problems.

yours
    Luciano
    Last edited by Luciano; 02 December 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks for a great product, like some have said it's hard to be the "perfect program" for every application but I do think this is Xtreme is close. I love the effects and the speed... But. I need the ability to use a custom named spot color for my large format printer (Roland EX545) and my RIP (VersaWorks.) The named spot color is CutContour that allows the printer/plotter to see the vectorized cut line. Am I reading Anthony and Gary's post to say the boxed version will do this??? If so I'll place my order now so it can get across the pond ASAP! Thanks again for a great product at a great price!