Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The guides layer..

Is there any particular reason why we can only have one guide layer?

People may remember my campaign for nested layers because I tend to have one Xara file and use it to hold all my assets and designs in one place, rather than separate files.

Today I was using the guides layer to lay out a card sheet. Once I've done that I'd like to lay out a web design in the same document, so if I want to use guides again I need to delete the card layout guides or just put up with them.

I entirely understand that I can make my own 'guides' by drawing in a layer above my proposed artwork and make it uneditable.

So why only one guide layer? Multiple guides would be good, even with the layers as they are (even better with nested layers).

Paul

Default Re: The guides layer..

You can make your own guide layer. Just lock the layer (?) I have never gave it a thought. I will look into it, maybe I will find something you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ... so if I want to use guides again I need to delete the card layout guides or just put up with them...
    There is one other possible solution, although it is not nearly as nice as having multiple guide layers.

Create the guide objects (lines and other shapes) for the first part of your work. Do not create any guidelines using the Guide layer properties 'create new guideline' option, or by dragging a guideline from the ruler. Instead, create all lines using the line tool.

Then, when you are done with the first guide lines, create a new layer, select everything on the guide layer, and then 'move' everything to the new layer. Lock and hide that layer, and create the new guide objects in the guide layer. Of course, you can have as many 'fake' guide layers as you want this way, and you can move things back to the guide layer for reuse whenever you want.

As I said, not as nice as having multiple guide layers, but it is a possible solution for you using Xara as it is.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    You can make your own guide layer. Just lock the layer (?) I have never gave it a thought. I will look into it, maybe I will find something you can use.
    Availor, it's just a niggle, not the end of the world! I already mentioned 'locking' a layer in my original post..

It's easier to lay out guides just by dragging out lines from the rulers and you can't do that except in the single guide layer.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 01 December 2006 at 04:48 PM. Reason: expect != except !

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    There is one other possible solution, although it is not nearly as nice as having multiple guide layers.

Create the guide objects (lines and other shapes) for the first part of your work. Do not create any guidelines using the Guide layer properties 'create new guideline' option, or by dragging a guideline from the ruler. Instead, create all lines using the line tool.

Then, when you are done with the first guide lines, create a new layer, select everything on the guide layer, and then 'move' everything to the new layer. Lock and hide that layer, and create the new guide objects in the guide layer. Of course, you can have as many 'fake' guide layers as you want this way, and you can move things back to the guide layer for reuse whenever you want.

As I said, not as nice as having multiple guide layers, but it is a possible solution for you using Xara as it is.

David
    Thanks David, that's a good workaround!