Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XPro Request - 11x17 template

Since we now have a PRO version and many of us "pros" do formats for 11" x 17'" output, I think XPRO should finally ship with a predefined 11x17 (a.ka. tabloid) template.

I realize we can make our own, but ....

UPDATE: Antony, what I should have said is 11x17 (tabloid) Page Definition.

All of the b&w and color laser printers in our offices (Phasers, Xerox, HPs, etc., ) have 11x17 paper trays as a STANDARD configuration. I can't think of any major business in our area which do not have a 11x17 capable printers. I think that would be the case in most metropolitan cities in the US. Also many of the copying machines, which now can be accessed by PCs via a local network, have 11x17 paper trays.
    Last edited by jclements; 30 November 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: XPro Request - 11x17 template

This is the first I've heard of this size (which makes me think people aren't exactly screaming for this....)

But what is that size for?

As you say though, you can create one. And it does take under a minute to do.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I will say over 15 second for creation of new template....
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    This is the first I've heard of this size (which makes me think people aren't exactly screaming for this....)

But what is that size for?

As you say though, you can create one. And it does take under a minute to do.
    Antony...

The 11 inch by 17 inch size is quite common in the US. It is referred to as "tabloid" size. Remember, our US standard letter size paper is 8-1/2 inch by 11 inch, exactly half of the tabloid size. It is very popular for newsletters, etc.

Here is a template for that size. At 60% I can see the whole page at one time.
    ---
    Will
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    That's the standard tabloid page in the US. It's equivalent to two letter-sized sheets laid side by side.

I use it for my company's newsletter and various marketing pieces. One of the reasons you haven't heard much screaming is that most laser printers and inkjets don't print larger than Legal. So unless you have a printer that prints tabloid (and preferaby tabloid duplex), you have to send those jobs to a commercial printer or service bureau.

OTOH, over the last year or so, I have seen inkjet photo printers that do simplex tabloid in consumer computer stores such as COMPusa, so the need for 11x17 may be growing.

BTW, in my office I have a Lexmark C920 tabloid duplex laser, which we generally refer to as the "beast". As long as you use the right paper, it's usually flawless in performance, and the output is wonderful. The fumes from the color toners and developers are another story.
    Last edited by amoore; 30 November 2006 at 09:47 PM.

If there's a demand we can see about creating some templates in this size (i.e. not just a blank one, but ones with editable content like our other newsletter templates).
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

This is a case of the US and Canada being out of step with the rest of the world . The Tabloid format is approximately the same size as a A3 size of paper.

Go to wikipedia and search for paper sizes.

Here's a link to various ISO paper sizes though it doesn't show the Tabloid size

Here's a link to ASI standards

(This is the first time I've come across a svg file on the web other than as an SVG demonstration, what a fast moving format!)
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 30 November 2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Before I retired from my "day job," I would have loved specialized templates ready-made for my agency's newsletter. We did a quarterly publication, but such a specialized sobject (Building Code changes, interpretations and enforcement issues) that it would be rare to find one appropriate to us.

I always had a template ready with the title, date, etc. I had to do all the writing, photography, graphics, etc. (And this wasn't my primary job function

Primarily, I dealt with structural engineering issues related to hurricane-resistant construction.

If I had had Xara Extreme back then, my illustrations would have been so much quicker and easier to make! Drawings that took me hours in bitmap programs would have been only minutes.
    ---
    Will

Yup, Will.

11x17 format is almost a given requirement for any Engineering, Accounting, or Architectural firm that are producing proposals or reports.

Egg said, "This is a case of the US and Canada being out of step with the rest of the world "

That's why they call us the "New World"...