Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Prognosis for Xtreme Pro for the Mac

Can someone at Xara provide an update? Will we see a Mac release early next year?

Would really like to make a hardware switch and Xtreme is one of my main tools.
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: Prognosis for Xtreme Pro for the Mac

Dave,

I've no idea when the Mac version will be available. On the subject of changing hardware, Charles (CEO Xara) posted on the Forums a few months ago that he uses a Mac with software to load windows programs and he had no complaints. I can't find a link but he's very active in the forums at present and maybe he can offer the link if he reads this post.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. I did see that thread...impressive. My reason for asking though concerns the timing of the special offer pricing for XXPro...If the Mac version is coming, I'll hold off on the Win upgrade.

I think I can honestly say that the Mac version won't be released before the expiration of the current XXPro offer. I've no insider information etc, I just don't think they're that far down the road. I believe the Linux versions on about beta7 and has been held up lately by all the work the lads at Hemel have been putting into XXPro and from my infrequent visits to the Xtreme Linux forum (they talk a very strange gibberish in there) the Mac version will be released some time after the final Linux version.

Just my thoughts...
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yeah, Egg is right. There's still work to do there. It certainly isn't imminent, and we've been very focused on Pro.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

If you have an Intel Mac you can run Windows either via Boot Camp or in the Mac OS desktop using a program called Parallels Desktop.

Both work very well but Boot Camp gives Windows full access to the Mac's hardware and thus the best performance. The only downside is that you have to reboot to switch in and out of Boot Camp.

Xara Xtreme and Pro run fine on Windows/Boot Camp.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 30 November 2006 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks to AntonyF and Phil for their replies. I've thought a great deal about this potential hardware swap, so bear with me.

1) Why switch? Microsoft's innovation edge is now fighting Google...Ray Ozzie has replaced Bill Gates as CTO; his whole career is network-computing. Apple's innovation edge, on the other hand, is right where I live: empowering an individual's creativity and publishing potential. This year, 2007, is a turning point: a new Windows version (Vista) to wrestle with or a new Intel-based Mac? For these reasons, and may others, I predict the Mac is the platform of choice for the next 5 years or more.

2) Why not Boot Camp or Parallels? Well, my work involves working simultaneously with Xara, Word, Firefox, FileMaker, Photoshop, PowerPoint, GoLive, and other programs. BootCamp requires one platform or another: that's out for me. Parallels allows both but at the expense of speed: not an optimal solution for an everyday tool.

3) Cost/benefit of the switch? There are 3 costs: hardware, software, lost productivity due to relearning. Of these 3, the software investment is my biggest concern given the number of applications I use. I'm not giving up Xara; there's no Mac substitute I've ever heard of.

If I'm reading the hints correctly about XXPro for the Mac, it doesn't sound like it will be out in the first half of 2007. So if I get 6 months of use out of the Windows version of Pro before the Mac version is out, I'll consider it a worthwhile investment. If the Mac version was coming in the first quarter of next year, I'd wait instead.

Other thoughts or suggestions?

Love this messageboard by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by davelash View Post
    Love this messageboard by the way!
    Thanks. I can't tell you much about programming, but TG is my bag and I'm pleased to here that.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Since the announcment of the Linux version i have been ithcing for an announcement of XaraX for the Mac. I am a PC user and have been for years, however i've been wating to move to Mac for a long time.
    Why haven't I?
    My primary design tool for all but the most demanding of bitmap editing projects is XaraX and it's not available for Mac.
    When i moved over to XaraX some time ago it was a choice betwen XaraX and Adobe Illustrator. Of course Xara was the better product in may ways, certainly lacking in some ways but in terms of productivity it won hands down..even though it was not supported by Mac.

So while i still stand by my decision, i always feel a little gutted when i wander into my local dealer and see the wonderful Macs on display and know that until Xara is on Mac, it will be very cost inefective purchase.

XaraXPro seems like the perfect version for the Mac, and i would be among the first in line with my credit card when it was released...then i'd run down to my local PC world and grab that dream MacPro.

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by coldfuel View Post
    Since the announcment of the Linux version i have been ithcing for an announcement of XaraX for the Mac. I am a PC user and have been for years, however i've been wating to move to Mac for a long time.
    Why haven't I?
    My primary design tool for all but the most demanding of bitmap editing projects is XaraX and it's not available for Mac.
    When i moved over to XaraX some time ago it was a choice betwen XaraX and Adobe Illustrator. Of course Xara was the better product in may ways, certainly lacking in some ways but in terms of productivity it won hands down..even though it was not supported by Mac.

So while i still stand by my decision, i always feel a little gutted when i wander into my local dealer and see the wonderful Macs on display and know that until Xara is on Mac, it will be very cost inefective purchase.

XaraXPro seems like the perfect version for the Mac, and i would be among the first in line with my credit card when it was released...then i'd run down to my local PC world and grab that dream MacPro.

- Steve
    Isn't there quite a good emulator for running windows software on Macs?
    What about running Xara Xtreme Pro on that and cut and paste to native Mac graphics software? Would that work?