Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xls import

Default Re: xls import

Thanks, Remi.

I tried that before but the problem is with all those special chars - it's too much work to repair it all. The text is completely chopped in 1-2 letter pieces, kerning has gone mad... I could probably rebuild this file in Xara from scratch in the same time.

The .png creation was the most satisfying i found until now.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have on several occasions needed the contents of a spreadsheet for inclusion in a Xara Pro page. I have simply highlighted the section of the spreadsheet I wanted to use, then did CTRL-C.

Switching to XP, I did CTRL-V. I got the "Paste Special" window and selected Windows Metafile and then clicked "Paste."

I got a message "Warning from Xara Xtreme Pro: This file contains some items that cannot be converted using this version of the metafile loader." I clicked "OK," and the image loaded. If you have the border outline set in Excel, you actually get the import complete with outlined cells.

The really neat thing about this method is that the text is editable.

I had to reduce the image size to 25% to make it work on my Xtreme Pro page.
    ---
    Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Excel Import.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	32725  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, Wolfmoon, that might work with some xls files.

But the file i had to deal with was working with headers and footers and stuff that can't be properly copied to the clipboard...

I would say, it's not possible with Xara Xtreme's current import/export filters.

Have you tried saving your xls file as an xml spreadsheet, an html file or pdf file?

These formats might work. I tried the pdf option with no problem.
    ---
    Will

Yes, exporting the .xls to .pdf works just fine. The problem was getting it into Xtreme.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming pdf import! YAY!

Had no problems exporting from AI but the downer is that I don't have that font on my system so I had to convert all text to outlines (shapes in Xara) and then export as Remi states Legacy Ver 8 and then Import into Pro. It might work without converting the text if each system ahd the font, not sure about that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: xar 1.xar (237.0 KB, 111 views)
    Design is thinking made visual.