Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xls import

Default xls import

Hi, i'm desperatly trying to import a .xls file into XtremePro. I made a .ps of it, it opens nicely in ghostview, i converted it to .ai but it won't import into Xara, same goes for .eps...

How can i do it?

Default Re: xls import

man, i hope someone can answer you question. I have been frustrated by Xara's inability to open .ai files for some time. It OUTPUTs ai fine, but i can never get it to read .ai from other apps.

i will be watching this thread, f'sho.

geo.

I think you might have to wait for the XtremePRO CD in late January for the PDF import feature. This should sort it out.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes PDF import is coming and will probably be the best way to import vectors from Adobe or other aps - although if you export as .ai version 8, then this should import OK now.

As for .xls - you mean a spreadsheet file, I'm assuming, then yes once we have the PDF import the theory is that if you create a PDF of the files, then we should be able to import it.

Waiting until January was no option so i used Ghostview to convert the .ps to .png... Not really satisfying, but what can you do!?

Post your file here and we will try our best to get it into a format that you can read and work on. Downloaded thee new ver. of Pro yesterday and found that the import of AI files was slightly better even though the file had used loads of masks which don't usually Import.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well, the job is already done - but i'd like to know how you'd do it. Because i can not upload .ps files here i renamed it to .eps

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: eps 1.eps (194.8 KB, 659 views)

Actually i found a solution myself.

On another machine i have CorelDraw 11 installed. I can just drag'n'drop the .ps into it, choosing "import text as curves" in the dialog box (otherwise the text will look bad). Now i copy everything to the clipboard and paste it into Xara.

Good to know. Not that hard.

edit: For others who'd like to know how i created the .ps file:

I have a installed a Postscript printer (HP Deskjet 750C/PS to be able to print large formats) which has as port "file". Now i can print any file with this printer and i get prompted to a dialog where you have to enter the desired location and filename f.e. d:/yourfile.ps and yourfile.ps will be created in d:/

That's it.
    Last edited by mikalele; 30 November 2006 at 10:38 AM.

err... maybe i shoud have zoomed closer to the files - the text is not really smooth after being converted to curves in CorelDraw 11. So - my solution is not really a solution.

Anyone got a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by mikalele View Post
    Anyone got a better idea?
    Create a PDF instead of a PS file and convert this PDF file with Adobe Illustrator into a .ai-file (version 8). Xara Xtreme or Xara Xtreme PRO is able to import Adobe Illustrator files (.ai <= V8).

But be careful, the Adobe Illustartor (.ai) import filters of Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme PRO are so bad, they are not able to import special chars like German Umlaute. I don't see a change within the Beta version of Xara Xtreme PRO for this.

Remi
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: ai 1.ai (734.0 KB, 114 views)
    • File Type: xar 1.xar (37.4 KB, 108 views)