Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Picture Editor - Slow?

I recently edited a slide show (150 slides), each slide was around 2.0Mb.

I used XPE for red-eye remedials but found; i) sometimes the persons appeared blind and ii) the computer became a nightmare to use with much disc thrashing after just a couple of edits. XPE seems to cache everything it handles and is un-usable. (ASUS P4T533/2.5Mhz 512Mb). My wish list for XPE would also include a 'revert' for the zoom feature.

Regards

Nigel (old Artworks fan)

Default Re: Xara Picture Editor - Slow?

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Nigeld

You can adjust the number of undo steps in the Page Options dialog (Utilities > Options...). Xara creates an undo for every action limited to the amount of memory. If you cut this number back as well as the amount of memory Xara allocates to each edit.

Each time you create a bitmap or import a bitmap, Xara places a copy of the bitmap in the Bitmap Gallery. If you are working with high resolution images this can quickly deplete your system resources.

You can minimize this by removing the bitmaps from the gallery after you have saved them to a new file.

Also exiting and reopening Xtreme will restore some of your lost system resources (memory).

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	32499  

Cool Re: Xara Picture Editor - Slow?

Thanks Gary, that's a good answer, I will try it - but I appear to be using XPE 'without' Xara Extreme running - or is it running in the back ground - and subject to what you say?

Regards

Nigel