Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara to photoshop

Hi can anyone help how do i get my vector shapes i have made in xara into photoshop also like to import them as smart objects so they are still editable.

Default Re: xara to photoshop

Hi kev1e,
    I´m afraid you cannot export your vector shapes in Xara as paths to adobe Photoshop. Only Xara text objects will be editable in photoshop.

Ask Adobe for a .XAR import/export filter.

Thanks didn't think it was possible am new to vector software been using photoshop for years i can still paste objects in then convert to paths in photoshop just experimenting with photos and vectors together and can't afford price tag of illustrator. Xara really good program and great value

Xara Xtreme Pro does allow for import and export from Photoshop, but things will be converted to bitmaps before going over to Photoshop as they're not hot on the vector front.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I'm not sure what the file type is, but doesn't Photoshop import objects from its shapes palette in a vector format?

Ah...having just checked, it seems they are a Photoshop native file format, made by tracing or drawing an image in photoshop and saving that as a vector.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 23 November 2006 at 01:23 AM.

Vector shapes can often be imported into Adobe products if they are AI format. I convert Xara shapes into AI for import into Indesign and I would imagine you could do something similar in Photoshop.
    It may be that the new PDF's would do the job but I do not have XPro to try this out
    Tony

Re: xara to photoshop

Further to my last post I have investigated. Yes, you can copy shapes produced in xara (and exported as AI or PDF) and paste into Photoshop 6 as a path or a shape layer. Then you can save as a shape in the normal way
    However, the rub is that you need to open the shape in Illustrator and copy from there first!
    It may be that later versions of Photoshop have a more sophisticated manner of importing shape shapes?

Tony