Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Batch convert CMX to XAR

I've got a whole lot of clipart in CMX format. Perfectly usable in Xtreme, but I can't see them as miniatures in the browser. I can see a (horrible looking) preview, but that is only the currently selected file. Is there a way to convert all these to XAR, other than doing it one by one by hand?

edit: In 2004 Dmitri said some sort of tool might be coming up (see http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=759). Any news on that?

Thanks,

Frans
    Last edited by itsfransie; 21 November 2006 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Batch convert CMX to XAR

As I'm a tad impatient, I've found a way to speed things up. I've used a program call Macro Toolsworks to record the actions needed.

First rename all files to .xar. Easily done in DOS, just type "rename *.cmx *.xar". Then drag 'n drop all files into Xtreme (I did about 200 files at a time, don't know how many open files Xtreme can handle). Sometimes you get an error message, just click OK.

Now record a macro with the following actions:
    - press ctrl+a (select all)
    - type 0 (zero) in x and y position
    - press enter
    - press ctrl+s (save)
    - click file -> close

All you have to do now is play the macro for every file opened.

I adjusted the macro a bit afterward. I reduced all pauses between actions to speed things up, and added a "move mouse to upper left" command, as the "play macro"-button is located there.

The "move to 0,0" past is included for two reasons. First, you can't save the file without changing anything in it. I could have used "Save as", and clicked "Replace", though. Second reason was that in some of my files the drawing was for some reason located several miles (well, not miles maybe) away from the page, which isn't very practical.

It now takes me about a second per file to convert.

Hopefully this procedure will be of use to some of you.

Frans