Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara beta bugs

Default Re: Xara beta bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Please can we not have intelligent wrapping for objects in front of text? Surely this is a must for page layout???
    I agree, unless you mean 'please can we not have it'? in which case I don't agree.
    But yes vital especially for a document that is well endowed with graphics as most things produced in Xara will be.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Please can we not have intelligent wrapping for objects in front of text? Surely this is a must for page layout???
    Or at least make the text box shape editable with the Shape Editor tool so that you could manually shape/wrap text around adjacent objects...

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    In the print world you wouldn't be able to do something spanning two separate pages vertically, nor can you in Xtreme. Each spread is distinct, so you can't have objects overlapping both.

Of course you can overlap horizontally, for example two pages in a spread.
    Ok, so lets say I want to make a shape that will be spread on both pages, Do I need to cut it myself then? Seems more natural that the shape will be seen on both pages like in Indesign (If I remember correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    Ok, so lets say I want to make a shape that will be spread on both pages, Do I need to cut it myself then? Seems more natural that the shape will be seen on both pages like in Indesign (If I remember correctly).
    If you want it to appear on two separate spreads, i..e pages 3 and 4 in a book, then yes. They're separate spreads so you'd expect that. If it's across a spread, i.e across pages 2 and 3, then you just place it across the two.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I'm getting some very odd behaviour with the new text areas.

Load some text into the clipboard, drag a text area with the text tool, right click and choose "paste unformatted text" and the text doesn't go into the text area.

Try it again with a new text area and the offer of "paste unformatted text" has become "paste text object".

I am also getting text areas vanishing into thin air.

If you type a first character into the text area the area border goes red and I get different, but still odd, behaviour.

Maybe I'm just not used to Xara text handling, ctrl C/V seems to be ok.
    Last edited by DD; 16 November 2006 at 08:47 PM.

PDF outbut bugs:
    I found I cannot output spot colors on separate plates (they come out as CMYK);
    Black overprint in print options has no effect;
    not even fill or line overprint in imagesetting menu appears to be working.

I made the tests using pdf/x exports, here is the test file used.

Anyway the pro version is impressive

ciao
    Luciano
    Attached Files Attached Files

Antony...

How on earth did you manage to keep quiet when you knew that some of the things people were bitching about would be fixed this soon!

You must have the patience of a saint and the discretion of a priest!

My congratulations to all at Xara for making an already great product into a truly awesome one, and especially to you for not letting this truly beautiful cat out of the bag!

But, I have to say, my prediction came true: I said I had no doubt that Gary Priester was already working on tutorials to help with the new features!
    ---
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I'm getting some very odd behaviour with the new text areas.

Load some text into the clipboard, drag a text area with the text tool, right click and choose "paste unformatted text" and the text doesn't go into the text area.
    It does if you Ctrl+V, or select paste from the edit menu. Right-clicking must assume focus on the document where you clicked and not the actual text box.

Try it again with a new text area and the offer of "paste unformatted text" has become "paste text object".
    That's because Xara has now already been told what the object you just pasted in actually is. This is normal behaviour.

I am also getting text areas vanishing into thin air.
    What are you doing to cause this? Text columns that are empty vanish (intentionally), but text boxes don't.

If you type a first character into the text area the area border goes red and I get different, but still odd, behaviour.
    I assume it goes red to tell you theres text in there (as opposed to text that's white and thus invisible).

1) Installer does not handle big fonts on computer well. See screengrab.

2) Weird installer issue, only minor inconvenience. It downloaded GDI+ (although I am certain I already have it somewhere), and I think the GDI+ installer came up saying it needed to restart computer. I closed a bunch of things, and then hit 'Restart now'. Then the Xara installer came up and said 'Finished', which I pressed to close out the installer. At that point, some of my other apps had closed due to the GDI+ installer, and I could tell this because several programs in the system tray had disappeared. But then my machine quit the shutdown cycle, and I had to manually reboot it.

3) The levels editor in Xara Picture Editor does not immediately show the previous levels, although it displays the bitmap using them. Go into a bitmap, edit the RGB levels, save, and exit XPE. Reopen XPE, choose 'levels' again, and the default '100%' levels (or whatever) show as the settings. Switching to 'Red' and then back to 'Joined RGB' fixes this.

4) I'm unsure whether this is a bug, or intended, as I don't understand the levels tools thoroughly. If you enter the XPE level editor, and then switch to Red, Green, or Blue, and then move any sliders, the green level line moves, and then reverts back to apparently showing the 'Joined RGB' levels??? Shouldn't it display the color's new levels?

Pretty cool overall. Great job! Congratulations, Charles & team!

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Installshield.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	32206  

Anyone but me having problems getting the origin set to the upper left with Y increasing in the downwards direction?

All I did was go into the options and change the option for Y to increase downwards. However, the rulers still show that the upper left corner is 0, 600.

If I then create an object, the Y co-ordinate is a negative number. So I change the location manually, and the rectangle jumps downwards off the page.

From the looks of it, it's treating the upper left corner of the object as the origin, but the global page co-ordinates are still negative.

Incidentally, if I close Xara and then open it again, the Grid options return to Y going in the upward direction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weird_1.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	32210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weird_2.png 
Views:	326 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	32211  

This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.