Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro - other improvements

That's just really sweet! I do a lot of work mocking up GUI's and such for various projects using Xara, and this feature is finally going to make that as easy as pie!

Previously I had to export the image to some raster format and then use PSP or what have you to open up the resulting image to determine locations, or else whip out the calculator and do the math. Neither is an overly appealing option, but the drawing tools and ease of use of Xara made it impossible to pass up for the task.

Between this feature and the new multi-page functionality, I think this update is already well worth the price of the upgrade, not even including the better text handling and all the other neat little fixes and do-dad's.

I think today's workday is going to be a loooooong one while I sit around moping that I can't play with the new stuff!
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

I had to pinch myself to decide I wasn't dreaming!

I can't believe that AntonyF knew all this and kept it all a secret!

That's an impressive feat. I would have busted a gut trying to keep quiet while people in the forums were bitching about some of these exact things!

Congratulations to all at Xara!
    ---
    Will

Some tips:

One of the new features is that you can paste objects in word and then double click them to edit in Xara. However, when you copy text from Xara and paste into Word, it still pastes it as a text object. But, if instead of standard paste, you select “paste special” from the edit menu, you can select unformatted text and paste your text that way. Of course though, you lose the formatting, by definition.

When creating linked text boxes of flowing text, it seems that you can’t change the properties of just one box of text (which makes sense – as text moves if edited to different boxes). However, the old technique of pressing escape in a bunch of text to select it all without highlighting does not therefore work (as escape does not select multiple objects). You have to go into a text box with the text tool, and press ctrl+A to select all related text.
    Last edited by Xhris; 18 November 2006 at 08:44 AM.

Has a release date been set yet?

Before Christmas, maybe!?! :-)

Thanks

Has a release date been set yet?
    Depends entirely on how many serious bugs we or you find. We think this version is pretty stable, but there is a lot of new stuff in there. We'd hope for release in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    Depends entirely on how many serious bugs we or you find. We think this version is pretty stable, but there is a lot of new stuff in there.
    Understood. It does seem pretty close to RC quality.

We'd hope for release in a few weeks.
    Sounds great, looking forward to it! :-)

Cheers

Doug

... and there's more? Excellent! I'm looking forward to trying it all out.
    -- Bob

There really are some very significant improvements over Xtreme in this program, but from a personal point of view, without some kind of Macro/Actions I can't see myself buying Xtreme Pro.

I know many people don't use them or are happy to work without them, but I've built my work process around them and to give them up now would be a massive step backwards in productivity for me.

Looks like expression isn't going to have macros either, it seems I'm going to have to dig deep and buy Illustrator LOL!

Unless anyone could reccommend another program?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    but from a personal point of view, without some kind of Macro/Actions I can't see myself buying Xtreme Pro.
    Have you seen the Xortcuts Pro feature? Or were you looking for soemthing more?

http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook53/page_6.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Looks like expression isn't going to have macros either, it seems I'm going to have to dig deep and buy Illustrator LOL!

Unless anyone could reccommend another program?
    Have you looked into a third-party utility that can run macros within any program? I've used MacroExpress for those times in Xara when I've wanted to automatically execute a series of operations.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.