Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

Wolfgang, using the Adobe Illustrator 8.0 (ai, eps) filter I can open your EPS file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolfgang.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	32186  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

FYI: Adobe lists the price of AI at $499 on their site:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

But it's fair to quote that price as Xara's was quoted direct from them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    Indeed, but if you calculate the whole price then you'll get even more price.

Don't forget that you've already paid the previous price of Xara X and Xara Xtreme.
    And someone could also have a previous version of
    AI-in which case an upgrade would cost them 'from $169' to quote the web site. ($499+$169=$668) Also, new users have not paid for previous versions of Xara. Do you somehow feel that you didn't get your money's worth out of your previous Xara products?

It's one thing if you can't afford something for whatever reason. But that does not mean that Xtreme Pro is overpriced. It also doesn't mean that you are obligated to purchase said product. Did Xara Xtreme suddenly stop working on the day that X Pro was announced? Did it loose functionality? Please explain.

Xara Xtreme pro, with plug-ins (to compare it to Adobe Illustrator) will cost about 400$. The calcualtion is:

150$ worth plug ins (which I did not buy but I did insert that in the calculation because AI has filters), and the original Xara Xtreme Pro.
    Hold on a minute-what plugins? Any extra plugins for Xtreme are bought at your discretion, no one makes you buy them. And do you know for a fact that all of the plugins won't work with XPro?

Paul: Yes I know nobody twists my arm to buy the product, but it's a general feeling. You and me we both know that I want it, like a toy I must have. I won't feel happy enough if I dont have the latest version of my favorite app.
    I'd love to have an Aston Martin-but they cost $200,000; so I make do with a Honda Civic. So it goes, that's life.

I was complaining because the whole Xara (Xtreme or X) costs less than 80$, and the difference between Xara Pro and the inital products costs 120$. So if you use simple math: 1 product for 80$, or an upgrade for 120$. Doesn't sound fair enough for me, sorry.
    I don't feel the upgrades are 120$ worth of paying.
    FYI: Product pricing has nothing to do with being fair.

How long did you have Xtreme? Divide that $80 by the number of months that you had it. I have had Xtreme for almost a year now, so $80 / 12 months = $6.6 per month or $1.60 per week. I spend more than that for a bus ticket or a cup of coffee!

I will probably buy it eventually, but I will still feel it's too much. That's the nasty feeling I get when a product I like is becoming more expensive only because they know that people will buy it anyway.
    And there are no new features in Pro that you like-nothing at all? I find that rather hard to believe. But if that is so, just stick with Xtreme. Problem solved! :-)
    Last edited by Doug; 16 November 2006 at 09:12 PM.

Bill and Joe,

thanks for trying. That's exactly what I get in Xtreme too. So it looks like no advancement as far as this goes.

The really funny thing is, that the .eps was created in and saved from Xtreme !!

To Charles and Xara: Don't you think, any Vector Graphics program with "Pro" in its name should be able to read .eps and .pdf ???

Wolfgang

P.S. to Bill: Good to see that you could open at least the .eps and it looks like it's supposed to look. But it would be so much better if it worked by just drag 'n' dropping the file or at least by just saying "Open".
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 16 November 2006 at 09:21 PM.

Charles,
    This looks fantastic! I'm really excited about these new features. I'm going to download the trial today.
    Can't wait to get the finished product.
    ron

Wolfgang, you'll be glad to know that pdf import is in development and we hope to ship it with Pro, but that current Betas do not have this filter. (My internal version does and loads that file fine). Secondly it does load that eps file as well, as demonstrated earlier (although not by drag and drop - we can look at that).

And yes we do regard file interchange a priority and are doing what we can - and the answer to your question is yes, we will load both eps and pdf files.

Wolfgang, I Opened the eps file and it opened with a prg I didn't even remember having.
    The pdf simply opened in Acrobat Reader.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	32196  
    -=Bob=-

Wow.

Thanks & congratulations.

I think the decision to divide this in Pro and regular is a very vise one, and I feel that the new improvements actually justify the Pro-moniker. In any case they will make my everyday work easier, and even enable me new job opportunities.

I feel that Xara is listening to us now, which is great.

That is what I did. But when I click on the .exe.file all I get is a flash and then nothing. I thought maybe my hard drive was getting too full, but I cleaned it up and still no luck :-(
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Grace,

Are you sure you haven't got Xtreme open? In fact it's best to ensure no programs are running. Delete your last download & try a new download.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Might be an idea to check out your browser security measures.