Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

I just tried downloading the beta and its executable asks if I want to run it, then nothing happens? Anyone else have this problem? I have no problem with Xara Extreme.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Question Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

Hi everybody,

I just read the announcement and I am happy to see that Xara ist still alive and kicking.

Multi-Document support and the improved text-tool are the features that *almost* make me want to buy Pro right away.

But two other "features" would be far more important for me:

1) Can the new Version OPEN .eps Files, generated by Illustrator ???
    The current version can't do this, at least the dozens of logos I got in the past never opened in X, X1, Xtreme, whatever. I always had to go over CorelDraw and I am tired of this.

2) Can it only write PDF or can it finally also OPEN them ?? I mean by keeping vectors and all? Same like above.

I do not want to install the Beta right now, could Charles or anybody please try and confirm that those two things are possible now ???

If yes, please reserve my copy ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The price you quoted is the full price. Don't you qualify for the $120 upgrade for current Xtreme owners?
    Indeed, but if you calculate the whole price then you'll get even more price.
    Don't forget that you've already paid the previous price of Xara X and Xara Xtreme.

Xara Xtreme pro, with plug-ins (to compare it to Adobe Illustrator) will cost about 400$. The calcualtion is:

150$ worth plug ins (which I did not buy but I did insert that in the calculation because AI has filters), and the original Xara Xtreme Pro.

Paul: Yes I know nobody twists my arm to buy the product, but it's a general feeling. You and me we both know that I want it, like a toy I must have. I won't feel happy enough if I dont have the latest version of my favorite app. You probably know the feeling. I was complaining because the whole Xara (Xtreme or X) costs less than 80$, and the difference between Xara Pro and the inital products costs 120$. So if you use simple math: 1 product for 80$, or an upgrade for 120$. Doesn't sound fair enough for me, sorry.
    I don't feel the upgrades are 120$ worth of paying. It's not a totally different

I will probably buy it eventually, but I will still feel it's too much. That's the nasty feeling I get when a product I like is becoming more expensive only because they know that people will buy it anyway.

Just my personal thought.

Wow! Intbel , I think the file you posted here might be inappropriate , dont you think? This is a family type place , maybe you need to remove the file.

Grace
    I saved the executable to my hard disk and then ran it. It worked fine that way.

Availor,
    you will just have to get your priorites straight. Do you want to take girls out on dates or have your new copy of Xtreme Pro ?
    It's either that or work more hours. I think that is a fair price for this program.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hi Wolfgang,

The attached is a list of the import options, but being a Beta they may add others before the final release.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inport-list.gif 
Views:	797 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	32180  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    Now this is not fair It's expensive! That's more than 250$ for me!

I thought the whole advantage of Xara was a small nifty and cheap product, 250$ (maybe even more) is more or less like Adobe packages.
    When we had Xara X1 it was too pricey with features that the average user wouldn't use, but lacking some professional features for professionals to take it seriously. It fell between the two. So this is why we have two versions now, to keep two types of customer happy.

Xtreme will carry on being a low price. But Xtreme Pro will offer features such as the imagesetting and PDF/X. People who need these features will generally be professionals who need it for their work and it will be a small investment for them to be more productive.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    The attached is a list of the import options, but being a Beta they may add others before the final release.
    Hi Bill,

fast and helpful as ever ...

First off, I don't see PDF on you list. But my eyes are not the best anymore ;-)
    Second, .eps as an option is already found in current versions as well. Only it does not, or very rarely work.

I try to attach an .eps an a .pdf. Could you please try opening it with Pro and tell me if it worked ??

Thanks
    Wolfgang

P.S.: I enclose these files (two logos) for the sake of testing. Please don't use them otherwise.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry to report that Xara Xtreme Pro was unable to open either of those files.

The EPS file reported that it is a renderable eps file and not designed to be edited in Xara Xtreme Pro.

The pdf file reported no filters for that type of file were found.

EDIT: The EPS file can be opened with Xtreme PRO Select the Adobe Illustrator 8.0 import filter manually. Relying on the All Files to auto select the correct filter did not work.
    Last edited by Soquili; 16 November 2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Correct information
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I got the eps opened in Xara... at least partially. It opened two words "wellness systeme" and that's all. No idea what the entire file consisted of. The PDF would not open.

J

As I've said before in these forums, if Xara makes it, I will buy it.

I'm downloading the beta as we speak, and signed up for the e-mail notification of the actual release.

If there is a way to pre-order, I'll do that, too!

In the US we are just getting ready for Thanksgiving, and this looks like something to be truly thankful for.

I'm excited!
    ---
    Will