Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

Quote Originally Posted by MarciaB View Post
    Hi LJ, don't you know you can download Pro once you have bought it?
    (I don't want you to explode )
    LOL - I don't have broadband - and I'm in New Zealand, the home of the slowest dial up in the world...and only one pc, but two of us using it [read elbowing each other out of the way, and foot tapping while we wait] and so...I wait for the mail rather than a divorce...

Though, we are considering a second computer, very seriously....

LJ

Lorie-Jean...

My happy home would not be nearly so happy had we not adequate computers. Two users, four computers. One office set up with two desktops, then the family room has two laptops we can use while we watch TV.

All hooked up with a high-speed network.
    ---
    Will

LOL, our computer setup is so cool, we even make our neighbours happy: two desktop machines plus two laptops running over wireless. My laptop card has a problem with encryption, so it's turned off. My wife discovered today that our neighbour and her lodger has been sneaking onto our broadband access via the wireless network, and has found it frustrating when we went away!

LOL, Paul.

Will and Paul,

You make me green with envy

Perhaps I should search for a neighbour with poor security - lol

LJ

Lorie-Jean, if you were my neighbor, I'd let you access through our firewall...

None of our neighbors have computers, so I'd be happy to share.
    ---
    Will

Lorie-jean,

Here in the UK Broadband works out a far cheaper option than dial-up. We saved a lot of money as soon as we changed from Broadband (probably cut our monthly internet access cost at least in half for several times the access speed). I'm presuming that you're in a remote area that just doesn't have abroadband infrastructure.

Here in the UK, people give away older computers on freecycle (perhaps there's one in your area) that are perfectly good for web browsing and most tasks.

I haven't changed our computers for a couple of years, so they aren't the latest spec. The laptop I'm typing on now has a damaged sound connector and a crack in the lid case and the battery doesn't last very long anymore.

So don't feel too envious! If you can ditch dial-up do so. Remember dial-up costs the subscription plus phone charges, while broadband is a fixed cost.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 08 January 2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: can't spell

Hi Paul

Our dial up is a fixed monthly cost and so is the phone line (we don't pay for local calls, just toll calls) - broadband would be additional to the fixed phone cost - and would be worth it for the convenience but...

Well, we'd have to pay for their technicain to do work to ensure that our house alarm wasn't compromised - don't want to do that as we'd like to move sometime in the near future. The other option is a separate phone line but don't want ugly cables strapped to the house, and underground isn't an option cos of digging up a concrete drive or worse LOL

And no we aren't in a remote area - unless you mean NZ being on the other side of the world to everything...

Thanks for the advice though!

LJ

Do it like me
    Broadband enter in home and immediately conect to WiFi access point.
    My 2 computers and one of my wife are equiped with wiFi, so I have connection everywere in home. No cables, no nothing.... just one private secure wifi home network, now plane to connect and my 4 years old daughter

and thinking how to transmit signal from satellite via wifi to TVs, and remove cable :P
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

We have broadband and WiFi but live in a cottage with thick internal walls so we also use a Solwise box of tricks (which I am also considering selling on to others), which relays your BB signal through the internal electric cabling in the house to any computer connected to the electrical circuit via a decoder. It's quite convenient, after all you have to stay in one place when you use the computer anyway.....

Cheers

Andy

Hi LJ,

Thanks for the explanation, but it's now more confusing than ever!

By 'remote' I was meaning 'out of town'.

Here in the UK we get broadband usually through two ways - cable and phone. With the phone, it's just a question of plugging into the existing phone line with a broadband adapter/splitter and for cable it's a very similar arrangement though through the cable connection. I really don't see why installing broadband would affect your burglar alarm at all. Even with broadband, you still use your existing phone to make calls as normal.

Here in the UK, dialup is a fixed cost, but as well as that you still pay for the phone call while connected to the internet, while broadband is a fixed charge, no matter how much you use it. That's why broadband is cheaper for us than dial-up.

Paul