Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: sketch

Default sketch

After watching Bob Hahn excellent video.
    I've tried sketching with Xara many times before and one thing I never thought to do was to keep a finger on the Escape key to deselect lines as I did them. Makes sketching much quicker and much more similar to drawing with a pencil. Great tip.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lne drawing.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	34328  
    Last edited by masque; 19 January 2007 at 08:09 PM.

Default Re: sketch

Masque, I agree with you. I never knew that trick, either.

Sure is useful, though. I'd been drawing a line, then clicking the select arrow, then clicking away from the image to de-select, then hitting the draw icon again. A real PITA!

I got a lot from that video, but that is the single best tip of all!
    ---
    Will

Very nice sketch Derek. Seeing your drawing and Bob's video, I will have to uncover my tablet (I'm sure it must be under some of that junk on my desk ) and have a go at sketching within Xara Xtreme Pro
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That looks really great! Sketching like that and doing nothing more is great too. I really like the look of it.

My keyboard's F keys have dual functions. They can either fuction as regular F keys, or pressing a button will give them other functions. (It's a Microsoft keyboard) F2 doubles as an "undo" button (has "Undo" written right on it.) So as I'm doing my sketch, my left hand is rested on the keyboard, with my ring finger on "Esc" and index on "Undo" (F2). So if a line doesn't turn out, I press the undo and redraw. That's usually when drawing finished lines, no so much for sketching.

But with the Pro Shortcuts, you can program F1 or F2 as "undo" as well. For me, I'm so accustomed to it now. Just a little finger tapping now and then and your hand stays in the same place.
    •Bob

Yes Derek some more of that type of drawing please.

Derek, great great drawing! Bob, more great hints.

On the other hand, Bob, look what you have done! You have made people start drawing again and taken them away from doing the dishes, taking the dog for a walk, washing the car, cleaning the garage... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!???
    -=Bob=-

Excellent. More please Derek.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host