Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

For 199,- this is still (by far) a great price compared to anything else out there. This is a no brainer. Thank you team Xara!

Some things that jump in my mind when thinking of working on a multi-page document using alot of bitmaps (like a catalog!):
    -I miss this feature for ages: Replace existing images in the bitmap Gallery with another image (right click, replace image (file browser opens)).
    -Assign a alias name for any bitmap in the Bitmap gallery, by default its the filename. You could also search for these aliases, as soon there is a letter in the search box it displays all bitmaps containing this letter.
    -Make SubFolders in the Bitmap Gallery to categorize pictures.
    -Decide if a picture in the bitmap gallery is linked to a file on the harddisk instead of beeing embedded. This way you can just change it in your favourite picture editor, save it again and its already embedded.
    -Modify and replace an existing image in the Bitmap gallery using Xara's Picture Editor (and not inserting a new image after it has been modified).
    -Click a thumbnail icon next to the picture in the bitmap gallery to view it as a 128x128 pixel thumbnail for the entire document.
    -Collect Bitmaps: Creates automatically a Root Folder on your Harddisk containing all images used in the Bitmap Gallery, for bitmaps located on different locations on your harddisks. Sub-folders are created on your Harddisk named the same way SubFolders have been created in the Bitmap gallery.

-Auto-Name Colors (A very cool feature in Adobe After effects). Editing a color in the Color editor, it automatically names the color in realtime, for e.g. #5C86FE="Medium Royal Blue", #FEA45C="Medium Orange".

-Spell Checker: A button called 'spell checker' opens a new floating window with all the words unkown (in red) with 3 previous words before and after the wrong wpelt word used in the document, for example "...proofing and expert cstomer service whether..." (the word cstmer is red and can be edited inside the window) . A click of the word jumps to the page or position in the document where the word has been used. It can be edited manually inside the document or inside the flaoting window - whatever you prefer. I find it much more useful to get an overview of all mispelled words overall in the document than jumping from word to word anywhere in the document.
    Last edited by Nostaw; 21 November 2006 at 04:55 AM.

After coming back from a long vacation this is warm welcomed news! I think this features especially the PSD import/export, Pantone and enhanced text is very welcome.

Must buy!

EDIT: downloaded and installed the BETA, One thing I think missing is to set the antialias level of text.
    I want crisp clear text (for example for a website menu layout) and put the antialiasing off. (or like in photoshop, you can set the antialias to none, crisp, smooth, etc.) I think this is essential feature and must not be that hard to implementate. So please xara I think a lot of users will find this a very helpfull feature!

Great XARA go on!
    Last edited by RickX; 21 November 2006 at 07:08 AM.

I am very happy to see this, I can not wait for the release. Getting the demo now. Man I sure hope this Pro runs as good a Xtreme standard.

Exclamation Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

Quote Originally Posted by RickX View Post
    One thing I think missing is to set the antialias level of text.
    I want crisp clear text (for example for a website menu layout) and put the antialiasing off. (or like in photoshop, you can set the antialias to none, crisp, smooth, etc.) I think this is essential feature and must not be that hard to implementate. So please xara I think a lot of users will find this a very helpfull feature!
    YEAH!!! This is the most wanted feature!

I have anwered this point (text anti-aliasing) in another thread, since it's likely to be seen by more people.

Xara Xtreme Pro sounds great!

Although I don't really need it, I guess I'll have to buy it anyway because it looks like most of the posts in Talk Graphics are going to be about Pro, and Talk Graphics is the first place I go every morning after looking at my email.

Charlie
    Charlie

I have found some Color Naming Tables on the web.

This textfile (rgb.txt) could be loaded on startup by xara, so anyone can add or rename colors to their individual linking by editing the text file. These naming conventions can be used when editing colors in the color palette to 'autorename' colors. A default name (this naming convention) is offered in a textbox in the color editor, but you can always overwrite it with your own desired name.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darw...cs/etc/rgb.txt < by xara startup load this file

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/Color/rgb.txt

http://fugal.net/vim/rgbtxt.html
    http://sedition.com/perl/rgb.html
    Last edited by Nostaw; 21 November 2006 at 07:28 PM.

Is there still more to do on the PSD import/export feature? I tried the import part of it last night and the file imported, but the text was messed up and the gradients I had were not gradients. I know this is still a beta, but I am just curious about this feature. I still plan on getting this when it comes out.

I finally did this mockup of an image to explain how auto naming colors could work. I got the idea from Adobe After Effects and I find it really helpful. Additionally, colors discribed in rgb.txt will get their name from the list.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	naming.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	32373  
    Last edited by Nostaw; 22 November 2006 at 02:06 AM.

Putting it in context:

Upgrade to Xtreme Pro -- $120 (= $10/month for one year, and free from then on)
    One-day workshop in anything -- $175 +
    Hard cover university textbook -- $100 - $200
    Adobe Illustrator upgrade -- $170
    Five new "read 'em once" soft cover books -- $100 +
    Four new movies on DVD -- $100 +
    Four to eight new music CD's -- $120
    High Speed internet connection -- $30/month
    Cell phone use -- $25 - $80/month
    A night out for two -- $50 (cheap dinner and a movie) - $300 +
    One hour with a therapist -- $90 - $200
    One hour with a lawyer -- your first born

There's no such thing as a free lunch (and there are much worse things to complain about in this world). Xara has overhead and growth costs for their progressive product. I do not begrudge them the expense of their new version, which includes an impressive array of long-awaited features from the request lists on this forum.

Glen
    Last edited by GroWeb; 22 November 2006 at 03:50 AM.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.