Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Help checking my computer hardware

Thanks
    IP

Indeed, you only have DDR1.
    I was first wondering whether slot 2 might have a DDR2 memory, but then afaik you can't have a system with a slot for DDR1 and one for DDR2.
    IP

Hi Availor,
    looks like you have already solved your problem of determining what/which RAM you have been supplied with. Personally I use Sandra, from SiSoftware which does a very good job of analyzing and reporting all aspects of your system. Even if you don't want to buy the program and only download the 'free' version you can still find your RAM types by clikking on the 'mainboard' module.
    Good luck with your legal efforts.

matelot
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by matelot View Post
    Hi Availor,
    looks like you have already solved your problem of determining what/which RAM you have been supplied with. Personally I use Sandra, from SiSoftware which does a very good job of analyzing and reporting all aspects of your system. Even if you don't want to buy the program and only download the 'free' version you can still find your RAM types by clikking on the 'mainboard' module.
    Good luck with your legal efforts.

matelot
    I gave him the link to that but somehow it didn`t work.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Thanks for your comments, I've made some screenshots of the report.... filed the letter to the company. Next I have to wait for 15 days (according to the law) for their reply until I may file an official law suit.
    IP

Sorry about that Ankhor, probably I was still half asleep here in Lotus Land (Beautiful British Columbia).

matelot
    IP

Availor...hope all your problems with the computer manufacturer will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Matelot...When you mention Abbotsford, I realize I've acturlly been there. I have a great cousin who lives with his wife in Vancouver, and I've been there several times, and gone driving around the area. You do live in a beautiful area...a little cooler than I'd like, but still beautiful!
    ---
    Will
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    Availor...hope all your problems with the computer manufacturer will be resolved to your satisfaction.
    This process will probably take a year if not more. That's how things work around here. For the good and for the bad
    IP

Surprisingly, it went too well to be true in these cases.

I recieved a phone call from the company manager himself (it's a small company, but still). Of course me being sassy - I've recorded our conversation (I've recently purchased a digital phone and speach recording device). He spoke with me for 27 minutes and just framed himself like a little child: In the passion of conversation he made some very stupid mistakes that must not be made in any circumstances:

1. He totally admitted several times that he was 3 weeks late delivering the computer (eventhough it says up to 14 days).

2. He contradicted himself several times on the same subject about the computer warranty, and when I told him I can fax him the reciet as a proof he totally changed his words, so again contradicted himself.

3. He denied the fact that I have DDR1, and then acknowledged it, only to make a bigger fool of himself saying that "it's exactly the same, same price and now DDR1 is even better and more expensive than DDR2" (What, does he really think I'm a complete idiot?).

4. When I asked him "Well can you replace the memory or not" he said that it's impossible because the computer does not support DDR2 configuration - giving himself out again, since that means that he also provided me with a different motherboard).

Now the only question is, if he replaces the components I will not file the law suit (I'm not really that bad - if a person admits he made a mistake I will never push him to the ground).

Now the most important question: Now that he admitted, what is really the difference between DDR1 and DDR2 regarding all the configuration (motherboard etc....) Is it really that vital?

If it's a matter of 100$ he will just pay it to me and we'll shake hands, but if it's a much bigger case then I will ask to either replace the computer or provide me with the adequate refund.

Thanks again for your help
    Last edited by Availor; 16 November 2006 at 08:48 AM.
    IP

Huh?
    Your question is not relevant in your case, because even if the manager replaces your RAM you can not put a DDR2 memory stick in a laptop which only supports DDR1. He could give you some refund...but consider this view:
    he not only supplied you with the wrong RAM, he also sold you the wrong motherboard...and laptop motherboards don't come cheap afaik.
    I don't have first hand experience with DDR2 vs. 1, so I dunno how the speeds compare. But DDR2 is faster (see also Wikipedia). The price of both RAM types doesn't vary that much afaik, but you should look it up.

I would have pointed him to the errors he made during the call and stress him to call me back when he knows what kind of hardware is in his computers and how everything works.
    Getting such a proposition - as you described - from someone who knows so little about (his own) merchandise can not be considered 100% reliable imo
    IP