Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help checking my computer hardware

I know there are some kinds of software that check the pc hardware. Can anyone recommend any? Preferably a freeware but it doesn't really matter. I need to check if my laptop has DDR1 or DDR2.

Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Help checking my computer hardware

Hi, Availor...

The documentation that came with your computer (unless it was custom built like mine) should give you the information on whether your ram chips are DDR or DDR2.

I already had DDR2 in my laptop (2 gigs), and actually found it running faster than my desktop. So I upgraded my desktop, put in 4 gigs of DDR2, and notice a significant improvement.

Here is a page with great information about the differences between the two.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Artic...DDR2/index.htm
    IP

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

The reason I want a software that will check on my pc hardware is that my documentation lies and I am in the process of filing a law sue against the company that sold me the computer. I paid for DDR2 and got DDR1, they delivered it in 45 days instead of 30 and now they are not willing to fix it eventhough I have a warranty.

THIS is the exact laptop I bought. I found it by the manufactorer serial number. They also claim the screen resolution is 1680 X 1280 which is impossible and that the computer has a built - in microphone, which it doesn't.
    I bought it nearly a year ago, but everything goes very slow in here, so I'm just looking for the right documentation for the court. I'm going to sue them on around 2000$, will get 500$ - 1000$ eventualy. That's how it usualy works.
    IP

I'm planning on upgrading my laptop's RAM and am going through a similar phase.
    I read on the forums about a program called CPU-Z (freeware) that can check this ("Memory" tab).
    It's pretty useful imo and shows the RAM's manufacturer and serial# etc. along with other info.

Of course, the only definitive way to answer your question would be to take out your RAM and check its specs, but then the manufacturer could think/argue that you messed with it and inserted a different RAM stick in your laptop
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Of course, the only definitive way to answer your question would be to take out your RAM and check its specs, but then the manufacturer could think/argue that you messed with it and inserted a different RAM stick in your laptop
    That's exactly why I want a software Thanks I will check the link
    IP

Availor...

I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than spending good money on something and then finding out you were cheated!

And a laptop is no inexpensive item!

For our two laptops, we bought directly from the manufacturer. Mine is from Toshiba, the other is from Hewlitt-Packard, so we knew the warranties would be honored.

Our desktops we built, so we knew exactly what we were putting into them, but it's not that easy to build a laptop. Especially not with hands as big as mine.

Best of luck with your battles!
    ---
    Will
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    That's exactly why I want a software Thanks I will check the link
    Sisoftware Sandra (lite) tells you even a lot more,

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...uy&langx=en&a=
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

ankhor, for some reason it keeps giving me 404 errors. Nevertheless I've downloaded cpu-z recommended by The Alien (thanks). Seems a nifty little software. Basically I need only to check the memory and make a print screen. But if it can also check the HD speed (maybe it is not original as well I cannot know) it'd be excellent. The more flaws I find the more money I will get in court. Don't you just hate it when you feel you need to fight with your teeth for your basic rights? There is no place a consumer can complain to. There is.... but by the time your complaint will get to them you will forget about what you wanted or it will be irrelevant. So you can only count either on yourself or on a good lawyer.
    IP

Ok, Here are my screen shots, I've also downloaded Everest program.

Now I'm not a technie but it seems to me that instead of DDR2 I simply have 2 slots of 166Hz memory. Together they make 1024 but it is certainly not 533Hz speed and not DDR2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	31715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	report.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	31716  

IP

Well, Availor, it appears that you've got the proof you need that what you received was not what you paid for.

Companies who rip people off like this count on the customers not being able to tell the difference. Unfortunately for them, you are smarter and more technologically sophisticated than they expected.

Good luck with the law suit!
    ---
    Will
    IP