Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Can I say how much I hate.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I'm very happy with Xara's alignment dialog. I find it much easier to read than all those little symbols.
    I like how when you open the dialog, it remains open so that you can perform multiple operations, like if you want to align several groups of objects the same way.

In fact, if I have a peeve about the dialog itself, it's that it's not (yet) correctly implemented in the Linux version of Xara. That'll fix itself eventually, though.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    The only complaint I have is the one I keep voicing: there's no option to align to selected object.
    I miss this option as well. My main use for Xara is creating graphical UI's for games, etc. The ability to align objects in this way (without the selected object moving) would make this a lot easier.

I used to use Microsoft Image Composer until I found Xara. One of the features of IC that I miss is the ability to lock the position of an object. You could still select it and edit it, just not change it's position. Of course you can simulate this by putting the object on it's own layer and locking the layer for edits, but it's not really the same.

The only thing that really bugs me about Xara is (as others have mentioned) the fact that the origin is the bottom left of everything. After I mock up a layout for a Gui using various objects, I have to break out the calculator and do a bunch of math to figure out where exactly everything is positioned. I understand the reasoning for a bottom left origin, but I still wish there was an option to invert it.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    The aligment tool works and ... ... you have to use drop down boxes instead of a graphic button and if that is your complaint thats sad.
    No, NO, NO once again !!!!

You shouldn't use dropdown boxes at all !!!

Just try select several objects and Click / Ctrl+Click /Shift+Click on small window with shapes in Alignment dialog. And see what happens.

------------------------------------------------------------
    2 pauland

It is not true that you don't like cats. You just can't cook them well
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by
    IP

I don't hate the align dialog box,
    but I would like have some keyboard shortcuts.
    I find it a little awkward to have to step back through the dialogue when I want to align repetitively. Especially for aligning objects to center, which seems to be my most common alignment task.
    - Andy
    IP

Ah! Good to know Dmitry, Thanks
    -AF
    IP

No, NO, NO once again !!!!

You shouldn't use dropdown boxes at all !!!

Just try select several objects and Click / Ctrl+Click /Shift+Click on small window with shapes in Alignment dialog. And see what happens.
    Exactly my point Dmitry ~ One click alignment.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

There is this old thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ment+shortcuts

The 4th post from Wfcentral has some shortcuts; I use them but I do get a bit muddled!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Exactly my point Dmitry ~ One click alignment.
    Xtreme doesn't give you one- click alignment. Supposing I want three shapes aligned vertically. I need to select the shapes, choose the correct alignment from the dialog, then I have to click Apply.

If I want to align other shapes, the same way, it is single click, but if I want to change alignment I am looking at at least a pair of clicks again. That's all without consideration of losing the panel.

This compares with a single click of an icon/button no matter what alignment I want.

What am I misunderstanding here?
    IP

Paul,

You need to select the shapes in either case. The single click is highlighting the very simple click on the window (Click top left to align all top left, click centre to align all centre, Shift click centre to align centraly vertical no change horizontal). Once you're happy with the alignment click Apply.

What am I misunderstanding here?
    You're not misunderstanding anything here, it's just your personal prefrence as I stated earlier. I find Xtremes dynamic window preferable and more intuitive (I rarely use the drop down boxes). I'm sure Xtreme could be programed like Flash to align on immeadiate selection but for novice users I think the Apply button is kinder.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I'm sure Xtreme could be programed like Flash to align on immeadiate selection but for novice users I think the Apply button is kinder.
    I disagree.

I think that the natural way to align stuff is to say, "See those things? Align them all with the left-hand edge of that shape there."

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the best align/distribute/resize tool that it's ever been my pleasure to use comes from a database form-design tool. For ease of use, no other method comes close.

Select objects, choose option, point to shape.

Job done. No mistakes. First time, every time. All stored inside a single fly-out button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	align.gif 
Views:	325 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	31447  
    IP

Now that I find that confusing Brian! There isn't even any conformity in the column/rows. Surely it should be like attached. Again to get top left alignment you need to click align left, align top. I'd prefer to click on the top left of the window etc.

It's horses for courses and it shows what difficulty creating user interfaces are.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

IP