Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Rounded corners on rectangle

Hi,

I am just working on a new logo and I need to make a rectangle with rounded corners.

No problem right create a new rectangle and then set to rounded corners and adjust amount of curve.

The problem I am having is that the angle is not right. I want the curve to be the same all the way around the corner. I am asuming because I am not using a square that the curve is streched.

Is there a way to correct this problem?

Default Re: Rounded corners on rectangle

Hi,
    No it doesn´t to be a square. When you first draw a rectangle and apply a roundness value Xara will draw the curved corners correctly, but if you strech the rectangule after that Xara will strech the corners too.
    To avoid this draw your rectangle and apply the rounded corners. Then from the menu select ARRANGE -> CONVERT TO EDITABLE SHAPES, select the SHAPE EDITOR TOOL and drag a box around the nodes you want to move.

Note that after the coversion to a shape you will not be able to change the radius of the corners anymore.
    Would be great if Xara will improve this a little in the next version so we can reshape a rectangle keeping the radius of the corners intact (without strecthing them)

Miguel
    Last edited by MEB; 14 August 2006 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks for the quick response. It sure would be nice if they could make changes to that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by scandog View Post
    Hi,

I am just working on a new logo and I need to make a rectangle with rounded corners.

No problem right create a new rectangle and then set to rounded corners and adjust amount of curve.

The problem I am having is that the angle is not right. I want the curve to be the same all the way around the corner. I am asuming because I am not using a square that the curve is streched.

Is there a way to correct this problem?
    This has been discussed SO many times over the years...

The best solution from all discussions is presented here from diniel.

In summary, after stretching:
    1. Turn on Snap to Object
    2. Redraw the rectangle to the same dimensions
    3. Delete the original, and then applying curvature to the new rectangle

This has been discussed SO many times over the years...
    Over the years?
    That's pretty strong indication of a usability hazard.... I hope rounded corners become a live effect of sorts in the next release. The permanent alteration of the shape is nice in some contexts, but for me it's the exception.

You can also achieve 1:1 aspect rounded corners by using a zero-contrast bevel if you like.
    Only problem with this technique is that your ability to use strokes is hampered.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by terov View Post
    Over the years?
    That's pretty strong indication of a usability hazard.... I hope rounded corners become a live effect of sorts in the next release. The permanent alteration of the shape is nice in some contexts, but for me it's the exception.

You can also achieve 1:1 aspect rounded corners by using a zero-contrast bevel if you like.
    Only problem with this technique is that your ability to use strokes is hampered.

Good luck!
    My mistake, it was an un-thought-out figure of speech. I meant "recently" not "over the years".

You can also use the linked stretching facility of Xtreme to adjust rounded rectangles - the rounded corners remain true. Whether it is a time saver is debatable, however.
    Attached is an illustration of this.
    Of course, if you have text in the box then you can link the size of the box to the text to that it increases automatically as you revise the text.
    Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would love to have the option to turn off scaling of rounded circles when I resize rectangles, just as one can turn off scaling of line widths.

I frequently create rounded rectangles that represent panels in mockups of software screens. I often stretch or shrink them leading to distorted corner rounding. The suggestions for dealing with this are all somewhat clumsy and involve the sort of extra busy-work that feels antithetical to the generally direct and elegant Xara experience. The fact that the issue is one that keeps coming up suggests that a such a feature would be appreciated!

Take a look at the tutorial that explains very well.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by DanGruen View Post
    I would love to have the option to turn off scaling of rounded circles when I resize rectangles, just as one can turn off scaling of line widths.

I frequently create rounded rectangles that represent panels in mockups of software screens. I often stretch or shrink them leading to distorted corner rounding. The suggestions for dealing with this are all somewhat clumsy and involve the sort of extra busy-work that feels antithetical to the generally direct and elegant Xara experience. The fact that the issue is one that keeps coming up suggests that a such a feature would be appreciated!
    Two clicks to convert the rectangle to an editable shape then a marquee select to select the points and a nudge to adjust the size isn't exactly a lot of work...

Tony