Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What are the best reasons for creating layers?

Zebs site is well worth a visit. I'm not sure why 666 comes before Jesus in the Sterograms though.. ;-)

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not sure why 666 comes before Jesus in the Sterograms though.. ;-)

Paul

No cryptic reason. The stereograms are in order of their file names so Stereograms01.jpg comes before Stereograms02.jpg. If you look closely you'll also notice that there is a naked woman after King Tut and three dolphins on top of a triplane --I'm joking now.

Anyways, thanks for the plug for my site, Paul. By the way, just in case you are wondering, Stereograms02 always comes first to me.

Layers is a good organizational tool and it can also be used for alternate pages as there is only one page in Xara. If you have a layout that is in English, you could have the same graphics with the othe language on the other layer, obviously the first language would be on its own layer so that you could turn that off. This would save time in recreating either publication as updating any graphics would update both publications.

Additionally as Drifter pointed out, orgainizing his car into layers helped the whole drawing move along faster. As now you are updating just the layer you are woking on, and not redrawing the entire graphic.

Layers allow you to turn off editablity, so you can in essence "lock" objects from being selected, making the selection of others easier.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Actually as a casual user of Xara, I certainly appreciated the explanations of people's uses of layers - I can feel me using layers more and more now thanks to this forum.

Also I took a stroll over to Zeb's site and would like to give a plug for his site as well as a great little walk-through of how Zeb uses layers in his cartoons - a wonderfully well presented mini-tutorial at http://www.zebtoonz.com/draw&color.htm

Cheers
    Martin