Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the best reasons for creating layers?

I find that in learning this whole process, and learning about what is possible, I don't use leayers nearly as much as I ought to.

I know from photoshop that it creates new layers for practically everything you drag into it.

What are the chief applications and reasons to use layers in Xara as a practical matter? What are some examples of things you'd never attempt without layers? Are there times when using a lot of layers is just more work than it actually benefits you over having all the objects on one layer?

Thanks.

Default Re: What are the best reasons for creating layers?

Hi Tallis,

Most of the drawings I make don't use layers, but they are usually simple and quick examples to help explain something here at Talkgraphics.

For a detailed drawing like a portrait layers are almost as essential as breathing. By placing objects on a layer to themselves you can prevent accidentally changing them. By locking the layer once you have that portion the way you plan. The objects cannot be selected until you unlock the layer.

I'm sure it all according to individual preference. I use many layers for a portrait. The facial features may take as many as 20 layers, more or less.

With some preplanning you can have the layers and the objects on them so you can reuse or modify specific objects.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

In another thread, there were some samples shown that designed images to look like marquetry (inlaid wood) and they were beautiful. When I tried to duplicate it, the only way was by using LOTS of layers! It was a lot of fun, but I can't even imagine trying it without layers!
    http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=23847

I designed a confirmation certificate for a class of about 25. Layers were invaluable. The background graphic was on one layer, all text that didn't change on another then each candidate had there own layer. When I printed the certificates, all I had to do was turn the individual's layers on and off.

Mickie

Frank like layers. Layers good. Good for Frank.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Layers also save time by cutting down on the re-drawing time, memory by cutting down on the re-drawing amounts, and let you reposition layers in front or back of each other. For the Vette I just drew, layers were an indispensible tool. There were almost 1,000 objects and to have that many grouped, ungrouped, and re-drawn would be insane, so the layering helped tremendously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	31240  
    -=Bob=-

Thanks guys. Very enlightening... Is there a way to find the "biggest" xar file that has been posted here in the gallery, or perhaps here, to see how a large number of layers are used? I dont know if you can search for "xar" file type and attachment size at all...

Tallis, supposing you were to draw a portrait.
    Probably the first thing you'd do would be to draw an outline with basic face colour?

So, now, on that same layer you begin to draw the eyes, each of which could contain as many as 100 objects.

How many time are you going to erroneously select the face outline instead of one of the objects in the eyes?

Having the face outline on a different layer prevents this, and when you see images with thousands of overlapping objects you can understand how layers are a necessity.

If you switch to anim mode, those layers now are called frames and it is impossible to create an anim in a single frame. >grin<

BTW - I learned P'shop using v.3 which didn't have layers.
    You had to open a new image to create a new layer and when done, copy and paste each image onto the base image. With only 16MB ram at the time, you can imagine how long even a simple image would take to accomplish.

Making a cup of coffee while awaiting the results of a mouse click is not an exaggeration ...
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Layers also save time by cutting down on the re-drawing time, memory by cutting down on the re-drawing amounts, and let you reposition layers in front or back of each other. For the VetteI just drew, layers were an indispensible tool. There were almost 1,000 objects and to have that many grouped, ungrouped, and re-drawn would be insane, so the layering helped tremendously.
    where is the vette, have you got a link handy

Take a look at this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...light=portrait. Logo Kid includes in one of his posts the XAR file showing his use of layers.

Personally, in my cartoon work, I use layers like this:

Top layer: Line work
    Next: Color
    Next: Background
    Next: Rough sketch and reference material

Sometimes there are more layers. I've had to sometimes put each individual character on its own layer so that I could easily manipulate it and work out the position before finishing the composition.