Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Transparent bitmap (bmp)

Quote Originally Posted by stratocast View Post
    [/color]
    The black background. As I said, all other programs see a bmp with a black background (including web browsers). Right-click download the image and open it in Xtreme and you'll see what I mean.
    I did - open/imports as a solid bmp.
    Typing in its url in browser makes no difference.
    Something doesn't add up, I can make no sense of what you have there.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy View Post
    so it is
    Yaaay!! I was beginning to worry. I guess I can cancel the exorcism now.
    -- Bob

you are quite right your black backgrounnd does not show up when pasted in extreme but the design itself I applied stained glas transparency to it and you see the result

Norman, try this, see what you make of it:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/attachme...1&d=1160860092

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Okies, I think someone is having a laugh.
    Make yourself a transparent gif then change the extension to bmp.

You now have a transparent bmp.

Try it ..

Intbel, I don't know what is wrong your end but I have re-downloaded my own bmp image twice now, by right-click>save image and by using the url you supplied. When opened or imported to Xtreme I get a bmp file with a transparent background.

The image I posted is not a renamed gif or anything else. I produced it in the manner I described in my original post. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

However, I've just been playing around with this again and I noticed that when I export to bmp, all the boxes/dropdowns in the Palette Options tab are greyed out. Hitting export then produces a bmp with a transparent background.

I then exported again, but I clicked on the Colour Depth dropdown and TrueColor appeared. On hitting Export this produced, predictably, a normal bmp file (solid white background).

Thereafter, I could not reproduce the greyed out boxes/dropdowns (everything had reverted to what you would expect when exporting to bmp).

Then, after exporting the same graphic to png (TrueColor + Alpha), when I next attempted to export to bmp, all the boxes/dropdowns where greyed out again and I produced a bmp with transparent background again.

I must stress, that I am talking about a bmp file that has a transparent background which appears only to be viewable in that state within Xtreme.

Further than this I don't know what else to say. If you don't believe me, so be it. It's not that important anyway, just an interesting event that I happened to notice.
    -- Bob

It's okay .. I suspended disbelief >grin<

Just something which I have never come across before, doesn't make sense and I look at all angles.

Someone playing a spoof is always a possible angle - I have done it myself >evil grin<

The only way I could duplicate it was to rename a gif as a bmp.

Whatever you did there is weird ... another hidden attribute of Xara you have uncovered, LOL!

("Hidden Attribute" is more positive term for "annoying intermittent glitch")

its transperant in Xtreme here. opened it in windows picture viewer and the background was black.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Intbel View Post
    ("Hidden Attribute" is more positive term for "annoying intermittent glitch")
    Yeah, you're quite right. It's just another of Xtreme's hidden attributes/bonus features/fun functions etc. I just wish I could think of some use for it

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    its transperant in Xtreme here. opened it in windows picture viewer and the background was black.
    Glad someone else has seen it.
    Last edited by stratocast; 15 October 2006 at 12:00 AM.
    -- Bob

Confirmed - it does open as transparent in Xara. Would be great if this could also work in browsers.

Perhaps Xara can throw some light on this phenomenon.

Christine