Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Blended layers and saving

Hi all,

I have a graphic with many layers: a room environment with a semi-transparent window. The window is made of two vector layers with different blend modes applied to each. There is a separate background layer underneath the window layers.

I need to save a PNG version of the graphic without the background (so that it is completely transparent behind the window) so that I can import this into Flash and place the background behind it. This way I can animate between the window and background layers.

However, every time I save the PNG of the graphic with no background behind the window, and then open the PNG file and place the background behind it, the blended layers that make up the window are no longer blended. They are just semi-transparent.

Is there a special way I need to save the layered image so that the blend layers stay blended in the PNG? I have tried Save As... PNG and also PNG Optimizer.

Thank you!
    IP

Default Re: Blended layers and saving

no idea in paint shop pro - but as a general case, you could save it with the white background.....

....then reload it and remove the white background [in photoshop I would use magic eraser perhaps - in PSP maybe magic wand?]

I am guessing the blending will not work without the white in place
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

You didn't say what method you used to save the PNG file but you might give this a try. It works for me but I haven't tried it with vector layers:

1. When you open the Save As dialog box and choose PNG format, click the Options button.

2. Ignore the Interlace and Palette settings in the box that comes up and click "Run Optimizer".

3. Under the Colors tab, choose "16.7 Million Colors (24 bit)"

4. Under the Transparency tab, choose "Alpha Channel Transparency" and "Existing image or layer transparency. Click OK (don't run the Wizard).

One thing to keep in mind is that any time you edit the PNG file later you will have to run the Optimizer each time in order to preserve the transparency. If you don't do this the image will end up flattened.
    IP

Thanks for your responses.

handrawn - I can't save it with the background in place because I need the background layer (a photograph) and the window layers to be separate (because I need to import them into flash and animate people walking between them) - I hope that makes sense. So I have to get the blending to save without the background there. But I am starting to think that it may not work without the background in place, as you said.

LindaSue - I think you may be running either a newer or older version of PSP than me (I have 10). However, what you described is the same as the 'PNG Optimizer' found under File -> Export in mine. But at any rate, yes, I have tried that, and it does save the transparency, but the layers do not keep the blend modes.

I will try fiddling around with some other options but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    IP

hi Austin

of course without your file I am only floating ideas:

set up a duplicate file - flatten the top layer to white background which should preserve the blending - promote the layer and remove the white background only - copy the promoted layer back into your original file for use, or copy the background into your new file - whichever works best

a possibility......
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Before saving Click the EYE icon next to the background layer tom turn of its visibility.
    Then use the optimiser as this gives a preview Of what you are going to end up with.
    File Export Png optimiser ( I have added the Gif, Jpeg and Png Icons to my Main toolbar as I use them a LOT)
    On the transparency tab in the optimiser set "Alpha Channel Transparency"
    For what area of the image you would like to be transparent set "Existing image or layer transparency"
    IP

handrawn - evidently I can't upload .pspimage files, I've tried. So even if I did, you wouldn't be able to work with it as the layers aren't preserved... Unless I'm missing something, haha.

Anyway, are you suggesting I merge one of the window layers to the background layer so that the blending is preserved? That is a good idea, except that then my people passing behind the window (and in front of the background) will still not be passing behind a blended layer.

Trev - yeah, I've tried the PNG Optimizer as you'll see above. My actual issue is getting the blend modes to stay blended when the background is not visible and then it is saved.
    IP

A screen shot of your layers pallet with each layer expanded might help.
    I don't know what your blends are But the saved PNG would look exactly like the image does in PSP. If after you turn of the background layer the other layers look semi transparent Its because they are. A way round may be to make a selection of the window area on the Background layer and just delete that. You will then have the transparent window but with nothing else affected
    IP