Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to curve text?

How do I get my text to curve once I get it typed?

Thanks

Default Re: How to curve text?

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    How do I get my text to curve once I get it typed?

Thanks
    Right there in the Xara Xtreme help file do a search for 'curved lines, fitting text along' and you will get the topic:

"Fitting text to a curve"

That will give you a whole proceedure.

Cheers
    Last edited by Doug; 09 October 2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Additional Info

I read it and I can't figure it out.. I try to do what it says, but I must be missing something or doing something wrong...

I just want to take a line of typed text and make it into an upside down U shaped-curve.

Suz,

Type your text. Make your curved line. Then make sure both are selected — either select one than shift/select the other. Or marquis select both. (Look at the status line at the bottom of the screen and make sure it says 2 objects.) Then under the arrange menu, fit text to curve.

Mickie

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I read it and I can't figure it out.. I try to do what it says, but I must be missing something or doing something wrong...

I just want to take a line of typed text and make it into an upside down U shaped-curve.
    Maybe post the graphic here so we can see what you have/haven't done so far.

To add to what Mickie said, look at the Help topic:

'Typing text onto a curve'

Typing text onto a curve

You can create a text object by typing directly onto a line or shape. This is a useful alternative to typing in the text and then fitting it to the line.

To type text onto a curve

1. Select a line or shape.

2. Choose the Text Tool.

3. Click on the line or shape. CTRL-click to start the text at the beginning of the line.

4. Type the text. When the text cursor reaches the end of the line, it wraps onto a new line underneath. If you are typing the text onto a shape, it will wrap around the line again.

When you click, two handles appear on the line or shape that show the width of the text. The text wraps within this width, just like column text.

Tips

Text will always follow the direction in which the curve was drawn. You can reverse the line direction if required. Alternatively use the flip buttons in the Selector Tool to flip the line.

If you do not want text wrapping (you want the text continuing off the end of the line), Shift-click on the line. This inserts a kern character at the beginning of the line.

Text around a curve can be edited and selected as normal. The text cursor follows the path of the curve.

You cannot type onto a QuickShape (including ellipses and rectangles). Either:

(a) type in the text then use fit text to curve

or (b) convert the QuickShape to an editable shape before clicking on it. "

Also, using the selector tool F2 you can put the text upside down or backwards (mirrored) etc by dragging the 8 selector squares (what are they called again?) -each one will do manipulate the txt differently.

Also check out the links in the help file if some terms are unclear.
    Last edited by Doug; 09 October 2006 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks, Mickie. It worked!

Now, how do I delete the actual curved line so I just have the curved text?

Convert to editable shape (under Arrange), then Ungroup (Arrange), and select just the line and delete it.
    -=Bob=-

Or select it go up to line sizer and click on none.

Suz,
    Another way is to hit ctrl/left button on the line itself, and then select no color for the line. That way you can go back later and alter the text or the curve.
    ron

Thanks everyone! It worked again! You guys are great