Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Last Save Destination/Path

I may be missing something (tried to search, no luck) on getting Xara Xtreme to Save to the Last Destination Used -Is there a Setting that I am Missing that will accomplish this? Thanks Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: Last Save Destination/Path

Hi Tom,

Xtreme does save to the last destination used. Are you wanting to make it save to another location automatically?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Red face Re: Last Save Destination/Path

Hmmm, I just tried this: New drawing, saved to Location 'X' - Opened another drawing, want to 'Save' to "Last" Location that I Used -not the place that I open 2nd Drawing from... but, 'Save' just goes to where I Opened drawing from... So, does 'Save As'...

I guess I am wanting Xara to keep the Save & Save As Paths separately... as most times I put things that I want to do/work-on/finish in a different folder then where I got/saved them in the first place...

Hope I haven't confuested you too much - Tom Is this Pie-in-Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Tom,

Xtreme does save to the last destination used. Are you wanting to make it save to another location automatically?
    Tom - Hwy101

Hi Tom,

Most Windows applications just have the normal default windows way of handling last destination folders. Which is lame and very inflexible.

This was something that drove me mad. The best solution I have come up with is a small & inexpensive utility program called 'Dialog Box Assistant'.

It remembers the most recent files and folders for EACH application and does it by adding an extra file and folder icon on the save and open dialog windows.

It also allows you to set manually your own folders which it calls 'Common Folders'

I swear by it now & find it an invaluable time saving tool...

More info here:
    http://www.win-utilities.com/dba/index.html

There are others similar utilities around that do this, but this is the only one I have any experience with.

HTH
    cheers, Dave Porter

Thanks for the tip about Dialog Box Assistant...I had not heard of this utility, and it sounds extremely useful. I odered it this morning (6:30 a.m., my time).

Here are a couple of freeware utilities:
    http://www.folderview.com/folderview/
    http://www.hypersnap-dx.com/files/index.asp

I've not tried them myself, but they are probably worth a look.
    -- Bob

I guess I don't understand the issue of this topic.
    Once I do a Save As, Open, or Export (even if they point to different folders), then each location is remembered. If I close Xtreme, and do a File > Open the last place it looked in the previous session is remembered. If I open a .xar (and Xtreme) by double-clicking on a filename from Windows Explorer, then that folder location is remembered.

As far as the reason for these options here is what the HELP FILE says:

Saving documents to disk
    Documents are saved by writing them to disk. The first time you save a document, you must give it a name and say which folder to save it in. For subsequent saves Xara Xtreme remembers the document name and folder.

To save a document
    1. Make sure the document you wish to save is the current document. If it is not, click on it.
    2. From the File menu, choose Save.
    > If you have not saved the document before, the Save As dialog box appears. You can then name the document and specify which folder to save it in.
    Tips
    > To save a document using a different name, choose Save As from the File menu. This lets you create backups of your documents.
    > To save the document in a different file format, use Export on the File menu.

**Many (if not all) of the basic Xara application functions are well documented in the HELP FILE.**
    Last edited by jclements; 08 October 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Last Save Destination/Path

Thanks (all for pointers to Helper Applications) - As far as the Help files go, I wanted to make sure I was NOT missing a Simple Conclusion (from Clinical Help Files, where I some times miss the Obvious) Thanks Everyone!
    Tom - Hwy101

You can edit all the save paths in the registry:

DefaultOpenFilePath
    DefaultSaveFilePath
    DefaultExportFilterPath

They're in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtreme\Options \Filters

If you're not confident about messing with your Registry, Leave It Alone!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Frank,

But these just store the last path for Xara to default for the next time.

Changing them manually is pointless as they will just change the next time you change to a different folder and close Xara.

cheers, Dave Porter