Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Designing a logo

When you're either very big or very popular you don't suffer the same constraints in branding that you do when you're a small fish in a very big ocean. Having said that, YouTube has a simple identifiable logo. It's about YOU and it's about the TUBE, a euphamism for visual media. It works for me.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

AndyD - well, we've gone 13 pages about logos so far, what's the story on your original quest - a logo for ACT?

Paul
    IP

Wow, big thread. This happens to me all the time. Friends that make lots of money, but expect me to work for free. I'm talking about design, webdesign, fixing computers, setting networks, everything. After 14 years, I need to learn to say no, when I see that it's too much. I like to help, but sometimes, too much, is too much.

Sometimes I don't even get a thank you, because they think it was my obligation. And they don't want to wait. They want it right now, even if that means me leaving my works behind.

This is the problem with this tech stuff. Some people think that it's for fun.
    I don't go to the dentist, or call a plumber, and expect it to be free, even if I know them.
    IP

Leeches and scumbags, the lot of them. Families are the worst. Bloody spongers.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    I don't go to the dentist, or call a plumber, and expect it to be free, even if I know them.
    Hahaha, I am kinda a plumber, and believe me, if they know you,
    they expect it to be (almost)free. And even worse, if after 10 years or more
    some things fail, they call you up and say you have to fix it for free.
    (immediately, if it was up to them)
    They don`t seem to understand that even centralheating systems
    (or equivalent, like cooling systems, fossest etc etc.)
    run out eventually, even if I installed it.
    They have no idear what a "real" plumber costs an hour.
    They soon find out when I refuse to help them, because
    they sometimes get a bit nasty.
    IP

Hi, I'm very new here, but have been reading a lot of threads, and getting very interested. I'm not in any way a graphics designer, and just for a subjective interjection my favourite "base" in this thread was dduran 's on page 4.
    Taking some of the principles mentioned here, especially by Big Frank, I'd say it could be improved by leaving out the trolley and bike, and extending the CT to make it more in proportion with the A above. This would then suggest a stylised large building with a pitched roof. The word "storage" could then be included inside the curve of the C.
    Here's my edit which is not meant to be an improvement! - it's just a knockup I made very quickly pulling the curve of the C about by hand. I only wanted to explain how I thought about the appealing font, bold design, and also show how it could be stylised in an appropriate way to indicate an association with the company function. Doubtless there could be some more embellishments, maybe a keyhole in the stem of the T, or perhaps using the stem of the T to be the jamb of a door (seen in perspective alongside, if you know what I mean - I don't have the time or skill to give an example image).
    Some of the most powerful logos and symbols bear no relation to the type of activity or business with which they are associated. I think design has really got to be about what works for "you" as well as the rulebook.
    http://www.atseaweddings.co.uk/tempo...eDDuranMod.jpg
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    Wow, big thread. This happens to me all the time. Friends that make lots of money, but expect me to work for free. I'm talking about design, webdesign, fixing computers, setting networks, everything. After 14 years, I need to learn to say no, when I see that it's too much. I like to help, but sometimes, too much, is too much.

Sometimes I don't even get a thank you, because they think it was my obligation. And they don't want to wait. They want it right now, even if that means me leaving my works behind.

That's the problem with people, one must have the ability to sell his skills and to value his own time, also teach others value his time.

I learned to ask for payment when I'm working on something. If I want to help someone and do it for free I will surely let him know that it is out of gesture or in order to help him, so I am not to be taken for granted.

If someone calls me for a meeting and I have to wait for him more than 10-15 minutes I will go, no matter what rank/position he is in. I've noticed people have more respect for my time now. In other words, if a person makes you wait (I dont mean he has something urgent or important to do, and he just makes you wait for no reason) then in his eyes you and your time are of no or little importance.

Some things I do for fun... like posting in this forum. Sometimes I spend hours either helping someone or searching for a link or manipulating someon's logo or picture. But I enjoy it, so that's different. Also people help me out and answer my sometimes silly questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Leeches and scumbags, the lot of them. Families are the worst. Bloody spongers.
    Big Frank: Wouldn't you like someone to help you out? I mean like family and close friends? If you think of your family and friends as leechers and scumbags...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    Big Frank: Wouldn't you like someone to help you out? I mean like family and close friends? If you think of your family and friends as leechers and scumbags...
    Yes, by all means finish your sentence. But kindly do not presume to pass judgement on me or my attitude to my leeching family, since you know nothing about me, or them. People help me out plenty. They are called friends and I neither treat them or their assistance with contempt or ingratitude.

The world is full of people who want something for nothing, kids and adolescents who turn into adults who want it all gratis, for nothing in return. Why? Because for some inexplicable reason so many people are afraid to say No.

Saying no from time to time is good for you and for those who leech. It teaches people that everything in life, even the things we take for granted, has some value.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by SparkOut View Post
    I think design has really got to be about what works for "you" as well as the rulebook.
    http://www.atseaweddings.co.uk/tempo...eDDuranMod.jpg
    Basically it is about what the customer wants, if you do it for a living.
    You might suggest what might work best, but what the customer wants
    he gets (not in my work, because in my work the rulebook is very serious
    because you can get some nasty accidents if you don`t follow them )

And yes the font is great, I will use it a lot I guess.
    So was the design, I actually liked the stuff with it,
    but I think it was clipart, and I don`t use others clipart
    when I "work"(=play around).(I will steal fonts and idears
    for incorperation )

And BF you are so right, I liked helping them out, but sudddenly they act like they hired
    you and that they can boss you around, when that happens, they better go search for
    somebody else, and than they know how much those others cost.
    Last edited by ankhor; 13 October 2006 at 10:39 PM.
    IP

I like helping out, but some people really abuse. When we do something because we want, that's good, but when they almost force you...

And when you help someone, several times, doing tech work, and then that same person charge you for their services, and don't even mention anything about your past help? Great, isn't it?

Most people don't even ask if they owe me something, and I would say "no thanks". But I'll start saying "this time it's on the house" so that they understand that they can't ask me to work for free, again and again.

So even with house works, people think that it's your obligation, and boss you around? I thought this was more with tech stuff, because it's "everyones" hobby.

I dedicate hours of my days to online communities, because I like sharing. Noone forced me. And I shouldn't be online so much times, because it's ruinning my eyes, but I love reading and writing. I don't even post much here, because in the first day, some people thought I was spamming, because I posted so much

Well, back to work! 1 AM here!

Big Frank, thank you for the links you sent. I love design.
    Last edited by Nuno; 14 October 2006 at 12:10 AM.
    IP