Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default UK Geographical PlaceName?

I have come across a geographical placename in the UK. Northern Isles (not being the Hebrides)? is this referring to the Orkneys, Shetlands, and Faroe Islands -- or the group of islands off the west coast of Scotland between Dum barton and Ireland, or something else? thankyou to anyone who can help clarify this for me
    nance
    IP

Default Re: UK Geographical PlaceName?

Hi Nance,

A google search for "Northern Isles" gave several links
    http://www.british-towns.net/scotlan...hern_isles.asp
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

thanks Soquili. I had googled it b4 leaving the message here. after the message I went back to wikipedia and finally got it....Orkney, Shetland, and Faroe Islands. that's the answer. thanks tho for the help
    IP

TwidderBird,

You're correct.

the group of islands off the west coast of Scotland between Dum barton and Ireland
    This group is called the Western Isles.

Their very cunning these Scots ;-)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Well as well as being a sailor and as someone who stays on the West Coast of Scotland there are two answers to your question.

The Western Isles are all the islands that run down the coast of Scotland which are not attached or near the mainland, this usually means the Hebrides, from Lewis & Harris in the North, right down through North & South Uist to Barra in the South. Tiree and Coll used to be included but not any more.

But that was not what you asked the group of islands that lie between Dumbarton which is about 10 miles from Glasgow on the north bank of the river Clyde and which used to be the Kings of Scotland castle around the 10th to 12th centuary and Northern Ireland, and the only one that I can think about is Rathlin Isle which is about 2 miles of N. Ireland.

The Northern Isles which has been talked about is from Orkney in the South right upto the Shetland Islands to the north. The Shetland Isles were part of Norway until the the 16th and they still celebrate this connection today with "Uphellia" when they burn a Viking longboat in January.

I have included a picture of Tiree with this as it is a lovely small island which is situated about 20 miles S West of Skye and it gets the full force of the Atlantic winds so has no trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiree.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	30298  
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I knew I could count on some of you in the UK to know the answer! thanks everybody...and Albacore -- really great work. thanks
    nance
    IP